CBR1100XX.org Forum

de-chrome?

ptxyz

i got what at first glance was a good price on a front wheel to get my bird back on the road after my curb hopping incident.

now that i'm faced with removal of the crappy chrome, i'm wondering if i shouldn't have spent the extra coin for a black one...

i've read some on-line tips about using bleach, oven cleaner, 30% muratic acid and a few others that escape me at the moment.

any advice on this? i'm not looking for a perfect finish. the bike was crashed and painted flat black by a previous owner. rattle can black is what i'll probably end up doing. i'd be happy with a 10 footer finish on this front wheel. don't care to spend any more coin to complete her rehab.

here's the offender.

post-59666-1373386499.jpgpost-59666-1373386508.jpg

i got what at first glance was a good price on a front wheel to get my bird back on the road after my curb hopping incident.

Not an expert, but if you're going to paint, you only need to etch the metal enough to make the paint adhere well. I can't imagine you'd need something all that caustic to achieve that goal. Fine sandpaper might do the trick, but getting into all the nooks and crevices....

Media blast and paint. Getting someone properly equipped to blast it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive if you're willing to remove the tire and bearings yourself. Short of that, Zero is right- scuff it up and spray it.

just for kix, i took a wire wheel on my drill to 'em for a few minutes. man, chrome's tough! easy enough to blast away the bubbly parts but, just putting a scuff on what's left takes some pressure!

oh yea, brake fluid was another thing mentioned...

Your wire wheel is likely steel, chrome is considerably harder than steel. Try a scotchbright pad (those green kitchen scrubbers), IIRC, those will scuff chrome. That, or sand paper will work quicker than the (relatively) soft steel wire.

Look up electroysis. Not going to come off with anything you mentioned. Basically a coating of chromium metal plating. A bad one for sure because they failed to clean the metal well enough. So it is just layed on top of the aluminum in a sheet. Kinda like laying aluminum foil on it only harder than shit.

little update, i just collected my naked wheel from valley plating here in san jose. $50 for them to take it back to raw aluminum. there's a bit of pitting from corrosion that had started under the crappy chrome but, it's nothing that can't be buried under a little coating, perhaps with a bit of sanding.

the local shop with the best reputation wants $125 to powder coat but, given the bike it's going on is pretty rough already i'm still shopping and may end up taking the ol' rattle can to it.

this will all have to wait for a week or two since i've other irons in the fire and my klr's been serving my transportation needs.

thanks all for your input. here's a pic, never seen a naked wheel before.

post-59666-1374090904.jpg

little update, i just collected my naked wheel from valley plating here in san jose. $50 for them to take it back to raw aluminum. there's a bit of pitting from corrosion that had started under the crappy chrome but, it's nothing that can't be buried under a little coating, perhaps with a bit of sanding.

the local shop with the best reputation wants $125 to powder coat but, given the bike it's going on is pretty rough already i'm still shopping and may end up taking the ol' rattle can to it.

this will all have to wait for a week or two since i've other irons in the fire and my klr's been serving my transportation needs.

thanks all for your input. here's a pic, never seen a naked wheel before.

post-59666-1374090904.jpg

Plastidip. $11 both wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps i'm naive but, i'm @#$^in' speechless. seriously, the seller's still claiming the wheel's straight?!

i've received a non contested pay pal w/shipping refund but, this bugs me. the wheel's good for rollin' a bike around the shop or scrap for beer money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-03-HONDA-CBR-1100XX-BLACKBIRD-FRONT-WHEEL-RIM-1100-XX-2001-2002-OEM-/400543236436?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d423cc154&vxp=mtr

"ready for chrome or paint", courtesy of ptxyz (now slightly wiser) the chump?!

post-59666-0-18586600-1375513630_thumb.j

worth a potential pay pal/ebay flame war?