CBR1100XX.org Forum

ANOTHER STATOR ISSUE

TFT

A few weeks ago we sold Jackie's F3. Over the past few years the bike would drain down the battery when it sat for a few months during the winter. It is kept in a heated garage. I put the trickle charger on it and rode it a few times before we sold it. It ran great.

The new owner ran it out of gas on the way to his house. (Stupid bastard was playing with the on/off/reserve switch while riding and accidently set it on OFF and ran it out of gas) Then he proceeded to kill the battery trying to get it restarted. Anyway he called me and told me all this stuff and also said the stator was bad and needed to be replaced.

1) When the stator goes bad what are the symptoms?

2) Does it slowly malfunction or just suddenly stop working?

3) Can jumping the bike with a car affect the stator?

I don't now much about the stator, but I do have 2 1997 XX's with the original stators and want to be able to identify the problem, or maybe just replace the stator before I have a problem.

1) When the stator goes bad what are the symptoms?

2) Does it slowly malfunction or just suddenly stop working?

3) Can jumping the bike with a car affect the stator?

Edited to answer these questions:

Usually NO charging, whatsoever, when it's totally out. It may work intermittently for a while before it finally totally quits. Sadly, the same thing can be said when it's the regulator rectifier.

Jumping the bike with a car wouldn't affect the stator. Might affect the regulator rectifier, but that would surprise me, also.

This is probalby the easiest, most reliable test:

1) The stator will have 3 wires coming out of it. Usually they're Yellow. Locate where they connect to the Regulator/Rectifier, and disconnect it.

2) Start the bike.

3) Take an electrical meter, set it to AC Volts. Measure voltage between any 2 of the wires. You should get 15+ volts across them at idle, and when you rev up the bike, it should quickly climb to anywhere from 40 to 80 volts.

4) Check all possible combinations. If you don't get voltage, or get nearly none, the stator is bad.

Every other test you can do (continunity to ground, resistance between the pins, etc) won't answer the question: Am I getting output from the stator?