CBR1100XX.org Forum

OH SNAP Goes my Snitz Racing Speed Link

Rales

I'm on my way home from work and while riding home I usualy go by my budys house since its on the way. There is a slight hump in the road. After going over the hump this is what happened.

IM000718.JPG

IM000719.JPG

IM000720.JPG

IM000721.JPG

That was a Snitz Racing Speed Link... Hopefully they take care of this as I beleive they are a good reputable company...

I just checked and both ends move freely no problem. It was probably about a year and a half old. I sent the owner of Snitz racing a e-mail with pictures attached. I will be calling tomorrow. I sure hope they do something about this and just say it was for off road use only or something like that. Also very glad it wasnt at higher speed, or with a passanger. Scary. So does anyone have a stock link laying around?

Just got this back. I will be shipping the link tomorrow.

April 26, 2005 was the purchase date

we do not sell them anymore, but the owner sold the company to another

person in Florida.

If you would, send the broken pcs to

Naarden Speedlinks

950 C Teresa Street

Daytona Beach , FL 32117

386-257-2466

Tell them that Schnitz Racing wanted you to see them, to see if they were

still made the same way.

we will pay for replacements if they still make them, just tell Naarden to

call my cell phone at 260-xxx-xxxx, I know them

Dave

----- Original Message -----

To: <dave@schnitzracing.com>

Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 12:52 AM

Subject: Speed Link for CBR1100XX Broken

> Hello,

>

> I have a speed link I purchased a while back from you for my CBR1100XX.

> Just today while going over a hump in the road it snapped in two. The

> rear

> tire came up, smashed into my under tail and locked the rear tire.

> Luckily

> I wasn't going too fast, I guess about 25-30 as it was in a development.

> I

> have attached the photos of my bike. I can remove the link and take more

> detail photos if it helps at all. Hopefully this is uncommon as it

> concerns

> me if this had happened at higher speed or worse with a passenger.

> Thanks

> David Peck

> 727-xxx-xxxx

>

You didn't damage your undertail/fender/tire in this little mishap, did you? :icon_think:

Oh yeah tire is nicly scuffed and since its touching the undertail i can only imagine how bad that is....

Call a lawyer.

Just kidding, but it's sad that any schmuck with a welder and an end mill thinks they can become a perfrmance accessory manufacturer.

I mean really, what would have happened if you had a passenger and you both were, God forbid, killed?

I bet they blame you for over tightening the locknut!

If that was the case I would have thought that it would have snapped where the nut meets the mounting block :icon_think:

If that was the case I would have thought that it would have snapped where the nut meets the mounting block :icon_think:

This is true, but I bet they still try to blame it on you...

Or is it, possibly, that the thing was in a different position before, and weakened the bolt in that spot, then it broke?

Mike

Edit: Although, you'd thing it would strip out of the aluminum end block before it broke the steel bolt, right?

Rales, keep us posted. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

That company needs to seriously consider preventing a liability nightmare. You're ok, Thank God. But how many of those links did they sell? If I sold that product I'd be shitting myself looking at those photos.

EDIT:

1. That company owes you a new link, tire, undertail and labor cost to install.

2. DO NOT send that link back, it's evidence and leverage. Let them have it after you've photographed it two dozen times and they've satisfied the conditions above.

Rales, keep us posted. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

That company needs to seriously consider preventing a liability nightmare. You're ok, Thank God. But how many of those links did they sell? If I sold that product I'd be shitting myself looking at those photos.

EDIT:

1. That company owes you a new link, tire, undertail and labor cost to install.

2. DO NOT send that link back, it's evidence and leverage. Let them have it after you've photographed it two dozen times and they've satisfied the conditions above.

I agree!! Also, photograph it next to today's newspaper, so they can't say "that was an old design, old prototype, and he got those pictures off of the Internet" or something... Might even get yourself holding it in a picture, showing your face and everything, while also holding today's newspaper...

Mike

Thanks guys for the heads up. So far I havent heard squat from the manufacture. They are over in Daytona Beach FL, and I am in Port Richey. I will be calling them at lunch time, and I may pay a visit if need be. Honestly I dont think I will put another one on. I have gotton a few offers from great board members to get a stock one back on my bike as I gave it away to another board member a while back. I will keep you guys informed.

I strongly doubt they will take any liability for this failure.

1) It's been 1.5 years. Well outside of any implied "manufacturer's defect" warranty.

2) It wasn't "professionally" installed.

3) It's designed for "off-road use only"

Just be thankful if they send you a new one.

I just got off the phone with naarden speedlink. They said they have never heard of this failure before and there products are on very high hp drag bikes. He asked if I had over tightened it or under tightened it as both can be bad for the link as under means its floping around and over means that it can stretch and weaken the threded rod. They are also indepently tested in Navada to meet and exceed there specifications. He was more then willing to take the link back and replace it, however the damage done they kinda didnt have interest in. I asked about my undertail atleast and he said to take pictures and email them and he would see what he could do about that. Not sure what exactly that entitled. I think Im kinda screwed on the damaged parts.

I just got off the phone with naarden speedlink. They said they have never heard of this failure before and there products are on very high hp drag bikes. He asked if I had over tightened it or under tightened it as both can be bad for the link as under means its floping around and over means that it can stretch and weaken the threded rod. They are also indepently tested in Navada to meet and exceed there specifications. He was more then willing to take the link back and replace it, however the damage done they kinda didnt have interest in. I asked about my undertail atleast and he said to take pictures and email them and he would see what he could do about that. Not sure what exactly that entitled. I think Im kinda screwed on the damaged parts.

Actually... that's all you can expect for after market mfg's... They'll usually replace their part that broke, but they don't usually assume any liability for anything else... In thinking about it, there's probably something about that in the instructions that came with the unit...

Mike

I think the best you can hope for is what they are giving you with the free replacement on the broken link. I wouldn't expect that much on a part that is older than a year, of course that is just my luck so :icon_snooty:

I think the best you can hope for is what they are giving you with the free replacement on the broken link. I wouldn't expect that much on a part that is older than a year, of course that is just my luck so :icon_snooty:

That just sounds scary to me. For a part that supports your whole rear suspension Id hope it would last longer then a year or two.

If this was produced by toyota, honda, or yamaha and they were breaking links people woudl be livited, even if 10 years down the road.

That just sounds scary to me. For a part that supports your whole rear suspension Id hope it would last longer then a year or two.

If this was produced by toyota, honda, or yamaha and they were breaking links people woudl be livited, even if 10 years down the road.

On the other hand, if you want it to last for ever, and be nearly bullet-proof, stay stock...

Mike

Those are probably nothing more than threaded stock which is not designed to accept torsional loads. If you were smart, get a link of the proper length made that you want with matching side plates....but wait, that would require real engineering...not what you see in the parts you have that broke. Sorry, but I think you will be SOL....