CBR1100XX.org Forum

loud grinding noise when starting up a very cold bird.

tweety

in february during first startup after the bike had sat for 2 months (with no care- i hadn't intended to leave it for 2 whole months) the bike had a bit of a grinding sound for a few seconds after starting it. it sounded like it was coming from deep within, almost the bottom of the engine. ever since then if i leave the bike for over 3 days without turning her on, it will make this sound when i start it up. it's hard to explain, sounds like something is grinding dry for a second when the engine first turns over, but then quickly gets lubed and the bike runs normally. i cringe every time, but it's gone within 2 seconds.

in the past few weeks i have performed this maintenance and it has not had any effect on the sound: oil change, air filter, spark plugs, CCT, washed it,...

any ideas? :???:

Mine makes noises that I dont like if I start it on the side stand. I normally start it up on the center. I thought it might have something to so with the tolerances being so close internally. My rear wheel will spin a little for a minute or so too untiil the engine gets a warm leading me to the tolerance thing and the viscosity of the oil until warm. Thats my guess.

Trent

and yes its in neutral!

Grinding noises usually mean lack of lubrication. That could mean you've got something like a blockage in one of the oil capiliaries or the oil pickup from the sump. I'd say you maybe have some gunk that hardened in the oild delivery system while the bike was sitting.

hmm, gunk. sounds lovely. if that's the case, something to worry about?

(also, i'll try starting her on the center stand next time it's been a few days- i noticed my rear wheel spins for a bit on the center stand as well.)

Have you tried starting it with the clutch lever pulled in? Mine is a little noisy on a cold start sometimes, but the noise stops when the clutch lever is pulled. The noise stops after a few seconds and I don't worry about it.

XXTI has got it. It is the clutch throw out bearing. mine does it too. When you start it cold, pull in the clutch, it goes away, let it out it comes back. only for the first min. or so. Weird. :roll:

Mine is a little noisy on a cold start sometimes, but the noise stops when the clutch lever is pulled.

Pretty sure it's not the throwout bearing. What you are hearing is the clutch basket rattling around a little bit. Quite common on these big Hondas: nothing to worry about.

i noticed this morning that when i pull in the clutch it goes away as stated above.

even though it's nothing to worry about should i start up with the clutch in from now on to prevent the (small amount of) damage the rattling/grinding around might cause?

can't hurt, right?

IF it's the clutch basket there's no need to start it with the clutch disengaged it doesn't damage anything.

Hondas just make that noise. I rode a CB750F years ago that did the exact same thing. Even my current 'bird has a bit of clutch basket noise. Though mine is not dependent on start up, it does it all the time.

By the way, nice bike!

ok, i feel a little better about it now. as long as some of you guys hear similar noises i know i'm not alone. :wink:

thanks, seeing this yellow bird was what helped me decide for sure to get an XX over the 12R. :)

It could just be that loose nut behind the starter button, there's alot of that going around.

And I should know - every XX headlight is wired backwards - except mine!

:wink: