CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain/sprocket change

gcp

I took parts and bike to the mechanic this am looking forward to a 16 tooth front, 45 rear and a ZVM chain install but after checking it he says to me, "George the guy you bought this bird from must have really babied his bike, your stock parts are in pristine condition so I wouldn't touch them". 26,550 miles and the parts are still as good as new, goes to show you how meaningful it is to take care of your bikes and ride them appropriately.

Gives me a warm feeling inside to know that Mike took such great care of his/my BB :grin:

I don't buy that at all.

My chain was toast at 20k, but I somehow managed to squeeze another 5k out of it. Rear sprocket is still great, and the front shows minimal wear, but it ain't worth trying to save $20 by re-using it, IMO.

Where is the chain on the adjustment? Are you sure it's the stock chain? The stocker is endless, with no "master link" per se. Any replacement chain should be easy to identify by it's master, either peened, or clip-type.

If your chain is still in the green, and you have no kinks/tight spots, then go ahead and keep using it. I just don't believe your stock chain & front sprocket are perfect after 26K miles......... :roll:

show you how meaningful it is to take care of your bikes and ride them appropriately.

Your bike was not ridden appropriately. It was ridden like a Harley. You need to get out there for a few top speed runs to blow out the carbon and some second-gear wheelies to teach that chain what life really should be like.

It's the original parts for sure and yes the chain is properly adjusted and in the green with plenty to go. No wheelies I am sure + Mike's the meticulous kind and I am glad he's that way.

BTW nut it's not being ridden like an HD now but it's not being abused either because I do my wheelies on my VTR but who knows what the future holds :lol:

Ah yes, well, the VTR does rule on wheelies. The XX has to be at a higher speed to come up, and has a MUCH higher balance point. You're not going to ride it around on one wheel for a quarter mile like the VTR. Well, at least, I can't.