CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike Resonance - Thoughts?

Fly By

Hey all,

Got an odd-ball circumstance that occurred and was wondering/hoping that someone else had a similar experience.

A few days ago in the middle of a ride, the sound of the bike became deeper and it seems to resonate throughout the bike so it's not as smooth as it was. I started her again yesterday and this deeper sound and resonance is still there. It seems the dynamics of the bike have changed slightly and though a deeper sound is nice, I don't want to trade the smoothness for it.

It's a 2001, stock, and I just hit 7,000 miles. Original plugs and air filter, so I'm going to start there, but I've also seen posts that the pipes eventually burn in and give a throatier sound. Though I thought that would be around 3000 - 4000 miles.

Lastly, should I be looking at the fuel such as the filter or running some fuel injection cleaner. I don't feel much of a power loss though, so this is probably not it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

resonance=vibration=something's loose! check your motor mounts, swingarm pivot, everything that's structural. torque to spec and apply loctite as needed.

Yeah what he said... a sound shouldn't make your bike have vibes all of a sudden... unless you ride a Harley and expect shit too fall off :lol:

Does the sound vary with rpm's? With different speeds? With different gears? Are there any vibrations that also just showed up? Any difference at idle when pulling in the clutch lever and releasing it? Any change in sound when cornering?

Thanks for the tips. I'll go through the manual and tighten up all the structural points as was suggested.

The deeper sound seems apparent all the time, but the vibration is most noticeable when in gear. Disappears when I pull in the clutch. Vibration seems more apparent at the upper RPM's (>3000).

No noticeable differences in vibration with speed, gears or when cornering.

Something I believe is unrelated but might be: I took the bike around the block w/o ear plugs and a helmet and heard the chain clicking on the front sprocket. That is something I've never heard before. And the brakes have always sound like their gliding on the rotors. Unsure on how to adjust for that or if its just to be expected. Chain tension is good.

Thanks again for the advice.

You may have tight spots on your chain, that will cause all sorts of nasty noises and vibrations, especially if the chain is not real loose. Check wear on it and the sprockets. But then again speed/higher RPMs would only amplify the problem so this may not be your problem.

Hope this helps,

I vote chain.

Lube the hell out of it (when it's warm), then take it for a ride again. See if it changes.

That's very low mileage to be encountering chain problems, but you never know what the previous owner put it through.

Yea, I go to Sloan's every couple months. I'm in Huntsville more than Nashville or Murfreesboro though, it's closer for me to come there. 45 minutes and I'm in the middle of Huntsville. We may need to hook up for a ride along with control1 who is in Huntsville as well. :)

.........Just leave a No tell Mo-tel and drop some quarters into the "magic fingers"?

LOL - Suf Daddy :poke:

Think outside the box as well.

Is it possible that the vibration is only evident because you are hearing something different? Where do you feel the vibration.....in your seat? Feet? Hands?