CBR1100XX.org Forum

Satilite Radio on XX

BDAZ XX

Ever get tired of no tunes because of the area you ride in? Me To!

On my rides I am always in mountainous areas without radio reception and I hate carrying a CD player and CD's, MP3's are nice but its the same tunes over and over.

Well I have been researching this for a while and wanted to install a satilite radio on the XX. Its the best answer I have found for non-stop tunes, no matter where I ride! :grin: This thing "sounds" un-fricken real! Digital quality sound!!! Kinda like a normal TV vs HDTV.

The only down side is the lack of a volumne control. I ran the headset wire thru a bustaroo type inline amplifier I purchased at Radioshack. There are some inline amps available for around $100 which should boost the sound to ear piercing levels. The sound on a 1-10 (10 being loudest) is a 7 which should be ok on the bike.

The bracket I manufactured out of some 2" flat alum. bar, rubber mounted to the forkleg with hoseclamps.

20034305745497143395363.jpg

Mounted to the left side of the cockpit with the GPS on the right.

20034308627231689408708.jpg

Antenna is mounted on the front of the bike.

20034304126251543445725.jpg

• 4 months later...

I was never a fan of satellite radio, if for no other reason than it's ANOTHER monthly bill. While househunting in Denver, CO this past week though, I gotta agree--it's incredible. The rental car I had was just FULL of great music. Then I noticed a funky antenna thing on the roof--turns out it had an XM receiver. Over 100 stations. Down side: after checking at BestBuy, it'll be 250+ just for the hardware to run it in the car, plus installation on top of that. :sad:

My .02

chad

I was never a fan of satellite radio, if for no other reason than it's ANOTHER monthly bill.  While househunting in Denver, CO this past week though, I gotta agree--it's incredible.  The rental car I had was just FULL of great music.  Then I noticed a funky antenna thing on the roof--turns out it had an XM receiver.  Over 100 stations.  Down side:  after checking at BestBuy, it'll be 250+ just for the hardware to run it in the car, plus installation on top of that. :sad:  

My .02

chad

I would not care what the cost was now that I have it. I almost NEVER listen to the crappy regular radio anymore. XM kicks ass, great music, no editing on most stations, and tons of selection.

You should look at the Delphi solution, portable and less than $250 I think.

No installation either.

I got the Alpine FM modulated one.

By far one of two best purchases I have made this year.

The other one was switching to Dish Network over crappy Digital Cable.

I got the DISH receiver with their brand of TiVO built in, that has to be

one of the best inventions ever.

Moving to Denver, ey?

Does the antenna have to be mounted to the outside like that?? or can it be mounted........say under the nose, or even inside the nose section??

I've been thinking about XM for my bike(getting sick of no reception from the walkman).

How much a month??

And do you ever lose the signal??

1. Does the antenna have to be mounted to the outside like that?? or can it be mounted........say under the nose, or even inside the nose section??

2. I've been thinking about XM for my bike(getting sick of no reception from the walkman).

3. How much a month??

4. And do you ever lose the signal??

1. Yes it can be mounted under fiberglass, I was in a hurry to get it tested and going so I mounted it at the highest point for best reception. I do not know how much signal is lost from electrical components interferring with signal.

2. Me Too! :mrgreen:

3. $10 per month, I pay for 6mo at a time.

4. Never while I have a line of sight towards the southern sky. Tunnels, deep canyons have lost signal for seconds at a time. I listened to alot of different stations to and from California to Cody.

I have tried 4 different types of headsets so far and the best are the type that have a wrap around the ear. Miniblaster, Sony earpiece, Chatterbox and a Kosman? type. This list is worst to best.