CBR1100XX.org Forum

opinions...

bajjer9

High mount migs dont leave a lot of room for aftermarket turn signals so with that in mind i set out to design my own...I couldnt find any 2-stage circuits that could be used as tail/brake lights so I played around in photochop and came up with this concept : light-project2.gif

Dunno why but the yellow turn chevrons came out white :headscratch: anyway the idea is to run this LED bank behind one of the clear tail lenses for a 97 'bird. Do you all think that using more LEDs when brake is applied would be enough? or should i continue to try to find a schematic of a dual brightness LED driver and use all of the LED's?

Though it looks pretty catchy, I think that going from one level of brightness to another garners more attention. Your start pattern is fine, but if you can get the existing light pattern PLUS the extra lights to be 2 times brighter when applied, I think people will notice better. The turn signals should be fine as long as they are yellow.

I love the idea, James.

Is this similar to the UFO tail light concept? I didn't read all of the info on the UFO. :???:

If you can do this at a reasonable cost, and are willing to sell them, I'll be the first in line. :grin:

I did get the idea ffrom the ufo tail light and I like it but 165 smackers is too much for me and I dont want all oof the "programmable" codes. I want to keep it clean and simple. I did come up with an idea of using a voltage divider to supply say 9 volts for the tail light then when the brake light comes on to by-pass the voltage divider totally...i am waiting on my LED's right now before I can try my theory but will keep you all posted...

The white arrows would be more obvious than yellow when it's beside red I think. Keep those! Of course they are WAY more expensive

although I am not 100% sure I think white rear facing turn signals would be illegal

The pic you have posted, is that actual size???

I would go with more brake lights and a wider turn signal band.

unfortunatly it is actual size. The problem with going wider in the turn signal is the 97 lens is not very tall and the mounting risers of the lens would interfere with wider signals/brake lights

Heres the drawing I have come up with if there are any electronics types on the board please let me know if it will work in theory...the idea is to have the 12-15v of the bikes power go through a 12v regulator then down to 9v for running lights...then when the brake light is acctivate it supplies 12-15v to the 12v regulator and bypasses the voltage divider completely...values are approxiamate where listed...i am sure they may change when i breadboard them to get the right voltage for the running lights

LED%20taillight.jpg

Heres the drawing I have come up with if there are any electronics types on the board please let me know if it will work in theory...the idea is to have the 12-15v of the bikes power go through a 12v regulator then down to 9v for running lights...then when the brake light is acctivate it supplies 12-15v to the 12v regulator and bypasses the voltage divider completely...values are approxiamate where listed...i am sure they may change when i breadboard them to get the right voltage for the running lights

LED%20taillight.jpg

It's been quite a while since I worked on electronics but it does look right for them to light. But I'm not sure if you'd have a running tail light and a brake light. I think you'd have the LED's on too bright with just the tail light running you might need bigger than 150Ohm resistors.

Would be simple to check, a 9volt battery, 150Ohm resistor and 3 LED's.

I'm not electrically inclined, but I did make an led setup for my CB1100F. I pulled the reflectors and bulb sockets out of the stock rear brake light. Cut out a thin aluminum plate that fit perfectly inside. Drilled 8 holes in the plate. Bought 8 1157 style automotive LED brake bulbs...red color. Took a dremel tool and completely cut off the bases of the bulbs...expoxied them to the alum. plate and wired them up in series and hooked up to the stock brake plug....much briter than the 2 incandecent bulbs and way less amp draw...did the same with the turn signals.

Maybe look at how one of the led 1157 bulbs works with running and brake"briter" circuits.

Porter

PS the reason for 8 led bulbs vs. 2 stock, is the 2 red leds were not bright enough under the red lens cover...there were no clears available.