CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI light comes on in wheelie

SwampNut

In the last couple of days, I've had the FI light come on and stay on during wheelies. It goes off a couple seconds after I put it down. It doesn't seem to have any problem, but the light is on. This worries me since having the FI do something stupid while in a wheelie could have pretty negative consequences.

Anybody ever seen this?

Carlos,

There have been a few of us having the FI light come on once in a while for no apparent reason with no codes. I assume your grounds (chassis and battery) are clean and tight.

There was a post on the old list from Mick (I think) that suggested wiring harness connector corrosion near the starter relay. He identified this as a probable cause of the European wiring harness replacements. My local Honda guys tell me that American Honda denies knowledge of this problem or any associated recalls of the '99-'00 'Birds. I understand the wiring harness was rerouted in subsequent years.

I've had the FI light come on and stay on during wheelies.

Oh hell just unplug the light! :lol:

Sorry could not resist.

Ken

It was me, there has been no recall over here but anyone who reports any similar problem gets a replacement wiring harness with no explanation as to why and Honda have also extended the warranty covering the wiring to 5 years. But you wont get any admission from Honda that there is any problem. Briefly it affects 99-00 birds, where the harness loops down the left side from the sub frame and under the starter relay. At the lowest point of the loop there is a connector block inside the harness.(about 1 1/2"x 1/2" that you can feel), being the lowest point any water that gets in collects there, rots the terminals and causes various minor malfunctions until finally you get a major one and the bike dies. The harness is too tight at this point to try and reroute it and from 01 it was changed.

[asian voice]

Oh.. da reddie rightie is da one da comes on when I stoppie.

I go again when da greenie rightie come on..

;-) ;-)

:cool: TJ :cool:

What light comes on when you do a stoppie?

What's FI?   And why?   :razz:

ha ha, in the same vein:

FI light = Front-end Inclination light ;-)

:cool: TJ :cool:

Carlos,

Very simple way to remedy this problem:

Brother p-touch lable maker - new lable: "Wheelie Light"

Problem fixed!

:wink:  

Glad I could help..................

No, but I have seen stars and blinding white light when coming down too hard on a wheelie and bouncing my balls off the tank (particularly on the Tuono, damn narrow gas tank)!!!!!

MaXX

Ever see flashing blue lights during a wheelie?

No, the mirrors point down at the ground... :grin:

I have seen flashing lights immediately after a wheelie a couple of times though, how did you know??