CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX tranny problems

control1

Good day all,

I am new and need some advice. I am a proud owner of a 97' BB and fourth gear will not stay engaged, I have considered getting the gears back cut?? hopefully this is a good term. Wanted 2 no if anyone has had this done, what the results were, should I just invest in new parts?? Does anyone know a shop that does this type of work. Any recomendations on a reasonably priced parts dealer?? :shock:

P.S. I have revealed the vital interior of this powerplant and the dogs on M3,M4 are worn. My baby, she needs me.

How many miles on the bike?

Sounds like your shift forks are worn or bent. If your dogs are worn bad, this could contribute to this. "Back cutting" your gears allows for clutchless upshifts and, from what I understand, is done to your synchronizers or "dogs". Great for dragracing, but not good for much else. I'd put new dogs in her and check your shift rod and forks for excessive wear and straightness.

If you need tranny work call Mark at R&D Motorsports in Clearwater, Florida. He is one of the best in the business and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They do not have a website, but his number is,(727)447-4552. He did my FJ trans back in '94, and did a wonderful job. He does a lot of drag racers trans and comes highly recommended.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the info, hopefully Mark is the greatest and he can just blink, :idea:, and the damn thing will be good as new. I will let you guys know how it turns out, hopefully I will be turning my tires again soon. :cool:

:arrow:

Have any of you had dealings with Service Honda, if so, how do you rate them?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :!: :!:

Back cutting the gears allows the gears to hold each other better, especially under load.

Only necessary if it pops out of gear under acceleration (which the XX is not known to do).

I had to replace 2nd and 4th countershaft gears very recently, during an overhaul, as there was enough wear on the dogs of those gears to be of a concern to the engine builder.

Joe is right, though. It's shifting, or usually mis-shifting that causes the wear. :oops:

Service Honda is GREAT! I get ALL of my Honda parts from them. Order on Monday, get your parts by Friday. They are just outside of Chicago, and I'm just outside of Detroit so the shipping time may vary with your location. If you check their prices compared to Ron Ayers they are much cheaper. Have been dealing with them since '99 and have had nothing but great experiences.

I am the second owner, possibly third of XX, not exactly sure what her history is. I have the tranny apart from the motor, M3,M4 and their mates show signs of wear, but not sure if I back kut, will it cause premature wear and have to replace them in 10k mi. or so since the edges are sharper on the dogs. Will I lose some of the integrity of the gear??? The shift forks appear to be straight and only one appears to have wear on one side. :mad: I am thinking that I should just replace any worn components with new parts and save the headaches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

BTW, turns out I did have a bent shift fork ®. M3, M4, C4, C5 were also worn on the dogs and windows. She now shifts sooooo damn sweet, it's like having a new bike. I screwed up and got my front balancer out of time and now she is a little fuzzy. The front balancer can be serviced without removing the engine, just have to drop the oil pan, which I did and now seems to be running worse, backfiring throught the carbs :oops: . What the hell is going on, I have had to ask myself too many times now, getting frustrated..

:mad: :cry: :sad: :evil: :twisted: :?: :?:

I am such a retard, I didn't have the gas tank on so she was just running on what gas was in the bowls plus the vacuum line on the intake was open so that didn't help much either. Got her all back together, got her clothes back on and she is running just fine. Damn I love this bike. :grin: Rode her today and she is tip top. It is amazing how one tooth on that balancer can make that much of a difference. Thanx 4 your support you guys are the greatest. Many many props to the XX ORGANIZATION!!! I'm not feeling very fuzzy anymore.

Peace out,

Control1

How did you know which balancer was out of time, anyway?

Or did you just take a gamble by resetting the accessible one?

Either way, congrats, and happy riding! :grin:

NORTH,

The only one that was disturbed was the front balancer, the rear stayed in time with the crank and cams. I did not remove the head or disturb the cam chain. Oh BTW, I had posted before about the marble sounds and thought it was my CCT, well I removed the bolt on the end of the CCT and tweaked (tightened) it a little and viola! no more marbles. Now if I could stop the ones in my head I would be doing OK!!