CBR1100XX.org Forum

UFO LED lights are here....

2equis

Clear Alternatives is in the process also of making a LED board with integrated signal lights. Won't be ready for another month tho and anyone with existing C.A LED taillights can buy just the board and swap it out and then remove the "blinkers" from the rear.

I will be alot cheaper than 150.

I emailed Tobin at C.A. about this, he said it might be about $129.99 and have arrow shaped blinkers.

Also, he said they hope to have pictures in 2 weeks... :???:

Regarding the extension, sounds good.

I'm not trying to turn it into a competition, but I certainly do want to be able to compare two products and purchase the one that I think is more aesthetically pleasing without feeling guilty about shopping around. Is that asking too much? Do you want me to refrain from posting my findings and opinions on the board regarding this topic?

The Hightech lights look great, and look to be of high quality. I also really appreciate that he took the time to make movies of all the modes on his website.

The only reason why I want to wait to see what the ClearAlternatives version looks like is to see the layout of the LEDs on the lightboard, as I don't really like the layout of the turn signal options on the Hightech board.

:cheers:

I should have that done by June.

You think I'm kidding, I know.....

Joe could you pm me in june and let me know how hard this will be for the mechanically uninclined?? :grin:

Several people expressed a sincere interest in the type of programmable pattern LED light that Hightech manufactures. With that in mind Hightech was approached to design and build a taillight for the XX.......which they have.....based upon what they felt was a worthwhile market. Now that they have done so, a program was set up for forum members to enjoy a discount on the new LED lights.

Given the fact that the XX is technically "discontinued" in the states, it looks like hightechspeed.com rolled the dice and made the choice to design the XX LED boards due mainly to the feedback of the board members here (via posts, emails or hounding them at MC shows etc.). I for one support their commitment and will be ordering this week.

Sorry to not have done the entire installation......but with the reception I'm feeling here, I'll be damned if I'll put any more effort into it.....or anything else of the sort in the future.

Joe, what did I do wrong :?:

I just want to form an objective opinion on some products I might buy, hopefully with feedback from others. And by objective I mean not taking into account whatever loyalty I'm supposed to hold. How is that getting you down?

You're not reading the PM's I'm receiving.

Many people seemed very interested. I approached Hightechspeed and have been involved with them in this project for several months....in the interests of the forum members.

Now there's a distinct change in the general attitude....as though people are simply looking for an excuse to not want the lights. Not everyone, but certainly a significant number. I certainly didn't represent this group well to Hightech......my error.

And I'm tired. My efforts to help seem to garner more criticism than appreciation or support. My choice, true, but I'm tired of trying to peddle pork in Gamla.

You're welcome to be as discerning a shopper as you wish. Have fun.

Joe I was asking how hard it is to do the install because I suck at this sort of thing, I can barely put together a cheap bookcase without trouble,gauging on how hard this is to install will affect weather I would buy and that alone, I like the looks of it I just don't have the skill to do much w/my bird besides change my own oil. :cry:

You're not reading the PM's I'm receiving.

Now there's a distinct change in the general attitude....as though people are simply looking for an excuse to not want the lights. Not everyone, but certainly a significant number. I certainly didn't represent this group well to Hightech......my error.

Sorry to hear that others who told you they would buy them have backed out. I was away from the forum for a year and didn't even know there was another thread on this topic before this thread.

I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say I really appreciate your efforts on this product, along with everything else you do for the forum...

You're welcome to be as discerning a shopper as you wish. Have fun.

Will do! Gee, I hope if I end up wanting the Highspeed lights you'll still actually give me the password... :wink:

The post from 6:38 was for your benefit, Will.

The one you quoted was more or less addressed to Tweety.

The major steps were what I outlined. If you can assemble one of them damned pressed oatmeal bookcases, you can do this. The most intimidating part is easy......put your taillight in a pan with some water in it, and heat it. It will come apart readily. Probably the hardest part aside from choosing a pattern would be to locate the controller.....there's no specific instruction for that.

Thx Joe I'm in. :three:

I must admit that I expressed intrest in this however by the time the tail light had come out my financial situation had changed significantly to the point that the 165 dollar asking price is way out of my budget (thus the need for something without all the bells and whisltes so to speak) I have posted regarding something more simplistic and right now I am only to 55 bucks on material. I hate it that you seem to be getting crap from some. I recognize the efforts you make not only in regards to theis light but to the board in general...Here a big THANK YOU to recognize that Joe!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got around to installing my UFO lights on my '98XX...bitchin'!!!

I've got the 2 left/ 2 right LEDs integrated w/ my turn signals and the brake light set up to pulse when applied - Very Bright!!! I had a spare taillight assembly so I "modified" installation a little. I removed the 1157 sockets from the reflector to make the install easier. Had to remove the tail cowl and tail light assembly. the whole thing took about 90 minutes including the solder/shrinkwrap job on the lighting harness. I didn't post any pics or video 'cause my OS shit the bed and I can't find my XP disk to reload. But to sum it up.........

Pro's:

Unique looking - had 2 bikers in 100 miles stop and ask about them

Draws less power then stock 1157 bulbs

Safety factor - Pulsing brake light really gets your attention

Cons:

Expensive - But I guess that's relative

Control box not waterproof - It's going on a motorcycle... for 150.00 I should not have to wrap it in a baggie under my seat (maybe plasti-dip would work?)

2equis