CBR1100XX.org Forum

Intermintant stumble, no errors?

redxxrdr

01 Blackbird, No power commander.

I have had a intermittent stumble, cylinder drop out. Down on power when it happens.

I thought that I had it traced to a problem with my Audiovox cruise. I was pulling the RPM sense from a coil input.

No vampire clip, just a spade lug double connector.

The bike had gotten un rideable. When it failed, it would surge often, and idle would be 200rpm lower and rough.

Often, blipping the throttle seemed to clear the problem for a few hours.

Plug read good, but have now been changed per schedule.

No errors logged.

The problem seemed to clear once the cruise was disconnected.

But it has recently returned.

I haven't seen any fuel in the vacuum lines, ( 10 year old turbo city FPR, that was supposed to be ethanohol resistant).

I have inspected and reseated the injector connectors.

I'm going to revisit grounds, and coil connections.  plus I have ordered a used coil from eBay for swap out troubleshooting.

I can run hundreds of miles without seeing this, then it may show for a tank or two.  

I try to run gas from high turn stations, and a little sea foam at failure.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?  I don't know if 01's had the test connectors, but it could be an issue there (I know 99's have a negative connector by the battery but there is also a positive connector on the clutch-side frame rail next to the engine that will corrode, been there!)  You might also want to make sure you don't have a corrosion issue at the spade connector where it attaches to the coil.  The rubber boot will get brittle with age and will trap moisture in it, or possibly even start corroding the wire causing a voltage drop.  I just went through a stuck injector issue myself, and it hesitated like you say before it just quit working altogether.  I was thinking the whole time it was a coil/wire/plug problem.  I've experienced all these issues (3 birds, the one I bought new, the bike I bought to build for a friend, and a nearly destroyed parts bike that ended up becoming Furbird) so I've seen all kinds of stuff in the "how the hell did that get messed up" categories.

Origional fuel filter, 61k miles.

Isnt it installed with the fuel pump?  Get filter and pump seal?

Yes the 01 still has the service plug. They just moved it higher up on the frame, and wrapped it with tape. 

I looked at it a few months ago, and it seemed clean.

My left side coil, pulse connector would pull off firmly by hand.  Ground side required pliers. So both female spades crimped. Coil connections burnished.

Frame ground just forward of battery was tarnished. Frame had all its paint, so ground was solely through the screw threads.

I removed some paint under the lugs, burnished the lugs and reinstalled.

400 miles today, no issues. But it has been intermittent.

A injector question?

I've seen post about using S2000 or Busa injectors.  Honda also advertised injectors with more holes, ( couldn't spell orifice).

They said that the new injectors on the 1000rr atomized fuel better.

I can see no advantage in upgrading injectors on my stock bike with stock ECM.  My thought is a basic MAP control wouldn't know how to adjust anything on a basic open loop system.

Does this sound correct?

I have no tuners in the sticks, and like my quiet pipes, so I see little benefit to adding a Power Commander, except leaning the standard slightly rich setup that Honda shipped with.

Thanks again,

Craig

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?/topic/54408-fuel-filter/

This was actually my post on the older forum, made into a permanent post on the Useful Links section here.  In the case of the 01, the original fuel filter had a hard line that was bent, 99-00 had a curved hose and used a straight in-out filter.  Oreilly's or any auto parts store can find you a pre-bent hose or you can just use fuel injection hose and curve it on your own, as you have PLENTY of room inside the tank to make the bend without it crimping.  Then again, you could just use a hard line with two sections of straight hose.  Whatever floats your boat.  The factory one is $50, my version is $3.  I have never replaced the pump seal on any of my bikes and I've had the pumps out multiple times.  No leaks.

I would open up that connector and make sure it doesn't have any corrosion inside it.  If it's clean, you can dielectric grease the snot out of it and tape it up even better than OE.  Better safe than sorry.  On the Furbird, it was so corroded I had to replace entire lengths of wiring.  One went from the connector all the way to the fan and had corroded THAT connector.

I had the ground issue on one of my bikes too.  The bolt (or stud, can't remember) had actually worked it's way loose.  Good on you for checking and correcting that as well.  Might solve your whole problem.

I wasn't referencing the injectors as an upgrade, I meant if you needed a replacement.  You can buy new aftermarket injectors for a Busa for $20 but the Honda ones (which are identical, but have the ability to flow more fuel) are $125.  Funny how Busa boys use Blackbird parts for an upgrade...

Regardless, a vast majority of electrical problems are ground related.  If you clean all that up (as you are) and eliminate that as a problem, it makes finding the real problem a lot easier.

Side note:  on my injector fiasco, it was #4 that was locked up and it did not throw an EFI code.  When I swapped it with #3, it threw the code.  Weird.

I had to fix the test connector on my 01.  Mine triggered the FI light like most do and it did have fault codes, a bunch of them.  It would be natural to be thinking about the Audiovox that was supposedly causing the issue.  All I can suggest it to ignore that, other than triple checking anything it was connected to, and start from scratch on diagnosing.

When my test connector was going bad it wasn't obvious to me.  I wiggled it several times with the engine running and it didn't seem to be the problem.  I know you've looked at yours, but check it again.  I've read of similar issues stemming from the handlebar kill switch and have read of other bikes having issues caused by a charging system problem.