CBR1100XX.org Forum

Plug change time

runner

I'm not sure how far you can go on a motorcycle, but I normally change them as a preventative measure every 2 years IF I put a typical amount of miles on each year (10,000). I'd not be surprised if you can go much longer.

Like Dave says, Iridium. Ngk IMR9c-9H. They are about 12 bucks on amazon, but last much longer. The recommended change interval is at every other valve check(32k miles) Oh and if you haven't changed out the plugs on a bird, remove the airbox and go in from the top, not how it says in service manual. Their way only works if your hands are the size of a Japanese child lol.

• Upvote 1

Agreed on top change procedure. Best done it you have the plug wrench from the tool kit. If not 1/4 inch drive socket, a universal joint adaptor, and two short extensions.

Get plugs in boxes that are in good condition. They come pre- gapped. A feeler gauge or gap tool will usually damage them. ( you will understand when you see them).

I use a good anti sieze on the threads.

Use a torque wrench if you have it. Small plugs, low torque, easy to break.

Plan on a couple hours if you are virgin.

1st set lasted 8 or 9k miles. No joking, bike was slow starting and ran rough. The itty bitty irridum center electrode was about gone making for a hell of an spark gap.

Replaced with some new NGK plugs. Ran awesome again.

Checked at 32k miles while I had bike down for winter service. Looked amazing good. So I left well enough alone. Will probably put in new ones when I service the bike this winter which includes forks, radiator and stuff.

Don't know why the set from the factory burned away. I posted about it on here years ago, comparing the new and old plugs. But the first warning was the bike taking an extra second or so to fire up and running rough at idle.

Biggest issue is lifting tank up and removing airbox. Rest is easy

I changed them 30k ago.... I can't believe the miles passed so quickly. I will report back how the old set looked when I change them this weekend.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the slow warm up, rough running, hesitation till fully warmed up traits with several vehicles in need of fresh plugs.

If you are in to do a lash check, just change them. How hard the bike is ridden is sure to effect plug life too.

Q:How often do I change my plugs?

A: Hmmm.... not very fucking often. IR plugs are said to be good for 100,000 miles, and I have run them that long in our car, but I treat my motorcycle completely different from my wifes daily driver.

I would change them every 25,000 or so... give or take a year.

Ngk IMR9c-9H

$10.04 each including shipping.

https://www.rockauto.com/

NGK 6777 {#IMR9C9H} Iridium; Laser Iridium

GoodLuck.

Just keep in mind that 100,000 mile rating is for cars that likely have an average rpm of <3k. What is a bikes average rpm? 4-6k?

I would expect at least double the wear.

You should not expect double the wear...

average rpm on my motorcycle is probably somewhere in between 2 - 4K rpm's. 2K in town... 4 K on the highway. My car is about the same. I changed the first set of IR's out in the car at 100K. They were visibly eroded, but the car still ran great. New plugs... and yes it ran smoother, but no change in fuel mileage etc.

Now for the bike.... there should be NO doubt that a good IR plug like the one listed above, should last you at least 50K miles. However, I... just me, like to change some things out, maintenance wise, a little early, just to keep them in premo running condition. So I change them at 25K ish.

The beauty of the IR plugs is their resistance to fouling coupled with their long service life. They are kind of like a self cleaning spark plug, if you will, and this helps to keep things running smoothly, even if you get a bad tank of gas from somewhere.

• Upvote 1

The beauty of the IR plugs is their resistance to fouling coupled with their long service life. They are kind of like a self cleaning spark plug, if you will, and this helps to keep things running smoothly, even if you get a bad tank of gas from somewhere.

Like here?

post-1606-0-22754800-1450833819_thumb.jp

Just keep in mind that 100,000 mile rating is for cars that likely have an average rpm of <3k. What is a bikes average rpm? 4-6k?

average rpm on my motorcycle is probably somewhere in between 2 - 4K rpm's. 2K in town... 4 K on the highway. My car is about the same. I changed the first set of IR's out in the car at 100K. They were visibly eroded, but the car still ran great. New plugs... and yes it ran smoother, but no change in fuel mileage etc.

Now for the bike.... there should be NO doubt that a good IR plug like the one listed above, should last you at least 50K miles. However, I... just me, like to change some things out, maintenance wise, a little early, just to keep them in premo running condition. So I change them at 25K ish.

You just said the same thing as me yet somehow disagreed with me and chamge your plugs at 25k instead of my suggestion of approx 50k. I dont care...just ....Interesting. lol

• 2 weeks later...

You average between 2-4 rpm? What are you riding, a sportster???