CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Pilot Sports

Flying Scott

Hi Folks

I just got a set of new Pilot sports from SW moto from different locations, the front tire appears to be made from a different compound from the rear. The rear being more plastic like in finish compared with the front which is more rubber, the inner linning is dappled on the front thousands of little circles the rear is smooth again plastic finish inside.

There website talks about the rear being made as below.

"The rear tire features Michelin's patented Radial Delta carcass design which combines the adhesion of a racing slick with the stability necessary for road riding. Tread compound is derived from silica-based rubber mixes found in Michelin's racing rain tires. Z rated, tubeless design."

Still seems unusual that two tires seem so different in material when new,

what say ye who know more....

Cheers

TC

Just fitted my 3rd rear and 2nd front this past weekend. I could see no difference between the two as far as composition. Got 6500 on the first rear, and close to 6000 on the second rear, 12,500 on the front. Grip is excellent as is handling in the wet. I have no problem with them at all. I believe Randy ( BDAZXX ) runs Pilot Sports as well, hopefully he will chime in

talked to SW moto's they said call michelin who were very good about sorting it out...

Talked to Michelin about pilot sports they looked up DOTs said they came from different factories, one left the silicone release agent on the tire other scrubbed it off so looks less “slick” they said in time they look the same, (both equally knackered, worn out and needing replaced no doubt)

Not sure if having a silicone residue on the tires fills me with joy but as long as the rubber is there when its needed.

TC

Was running the pilot sport hpx's before the roofers nail got me, actually it was a carpenters screw, I'm certain of it. :razz:

The Silicone should be gone in the 1st few miles. You could always "Scotch Brite" the edges if you are so inclined. Orlando's estimate of 6K plus miles seems more like Pilot Road milage than Sport. I'm @ 2800 miles and starting to shop for local deals to replace my Sports.

My friends R1 just got "nailed in the rear" :shock: with only about 300 miles. I believe he had purchased road hazard insurance. Some shops provide that and will replace new, if tread is 90% or better and prorate the rest if it is worn more.

dan

The Silicone should be gone in the 1st few miles. You could always "Scotch Brite" the edges if you are so inclined. Orlando's estimate of 6K plus miles seems more like Pilot Road  milage than Sport.  I'm  @ 2800 miles and starting to shop for local deals to replace my Sports.  

My friends R1 just got "nailed  in the rear" :shock:  with only about 300 miles. I believe he had purchased road hazard insurance.  Some shops provide that  and will replace new,   if tread is 90% or better and prorate the rest if it is worn more.

dan

Nope, mileage is from Pilot Sports. Course you have to consider where I am here in Florida, not many twisties, so squaring them off b4 where the edges are worn. You must be hard on tires. :shock: