CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Axle nut.

egadrotu

OK, I looked in the shop manual and it gives the thread dia. for the rear axle bolt as 18mm. Looking at the 18mm socket at the store, I can't see it fitting. I know I am ignorant, but what size socket do I need to loosen the rear wheel for a chain alignment?

I have a 98 and if I remember right the socket is 18mm for the nut and 23mm for the axel. someone correct me if i'm wrong. I will double check when I get off work and post it tonight if different. :bike:

The actual axle thread diameter is 18mm but metric spanner/socket sizes are the width across the nut flats which as Jet Pilot says is 27mm and 22mm for the chain side.

FWIW you probably will never need an 18mm spanner or socket as it isn't used in standard engineering, that's why some smaller sets miss it out, but saying that there's always the smart ass manufacturer who tries to fuck you up and add one :roll:

1 1/16" works just as well, too.

Interestingly enough... it was cheaper, too.

Don't forget to use a torque wrench on it when tightening it down.

Someone have the spec handy? I'm at work.

• 1 year later...

man, just tightened my chain... my left side notches are ate the #$@^ up. Notice they have a slight slant in the notches toward the back, making it hard to get them absolutely perfect.

Anyone have any advice for super perfect alignment (cheap, that is)?

P.S. I know this is an old post, had to search to find the mm size of the nuts and the helpful foot/lbs conversion. Thanx for that, btw. :)

Because the numbnuts mechanic that put the new one on (within 200 miles) left it at the old setting from the last chain that had 14k on it... excessively loose and the meter was deep in the red "replace chain". Got it to specs, it's all the way on the other side now...

Going to have a little talk with senor mechanic....

It is very easy to obtain 'perfect' alignment of the rear wheel, assuming that your chassis is square.

The device you need is called an adjustable trammel set. You can make your own but it's easier to just buy them from Starrett. You should do this procedure each time you remove the rear wheel or make a radical change in the adjustment length such as a new chain.

Trammells are a pair of clamps fitted with adjustable length needles, about 5" long fitted so the needles are at 90 degrees to the bar they clamp on. One needle is fixed, the other is ground off center providing about 1/4" of adjustment of distance between the two needles by turning the needle.

Get a chunk of 1/2" conduit or something rigid of similar size. I use a piece of 1/4" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock. Needs to be longer than the distance between your swing arm pivot and the axle center line.

Remove your mufflers and any bracketry that is in the direct line. Now place the fixed needle into the center of the swing arm pivot on either side of the bike. Adjust the clamp position and finally the spinning needle tilll the rear needle is centered on the rear axle. You don't have to be level here but, it is easiest to work with if the needles are adjusted for length such that the bar is parallel to the long axis of the bike.

Now go to the other side and flip the assembly over so the fixed needle is still in the swing arm pivot bolt. Adjust the chain adjusters till the adjustable needle is again in the center of the axle. Both the swing arm pivot bolt and the axle have center holes in them making this a simple process. A couple of times back and forth and you will have perfection. Proper chain tension and a perfectly square back wheel.

A little bit of time with a tubing bender and you could even make a little jig that would negate the need to remove the mufflers.

I have used this system to get the back wheel in line on all my drag bikes and a couple of 200 mph top speed bikes. Never failed yet. Don't forget, your tool box needs farkles too.

It is very easy to obtain 'perfect' alignment of the rear wheel, assuming that your chassis is square.

The device you need is called an adjustable trammel set.  You can make your own but it's easier to just buy them from Starrett.  You should do this procedure each time you remove the rear wheel or make a radical change in the adjustment length such as a new chain.

Trammells are a pair of clamps fitted with adjustable length needles, about 5" long fitted so the needles are at 90 degrees to the bar they clamp on.  One needle is fixed, the other is ground off center providing about 1/4" of adjustment of distance between the two needles by turning the needle.

Get a chunk of 1/2" conduit or something rigid of similar size.  I use a piece of 1/4" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock.  Needs to be longer than the distance between your swing arm pivot and the axle center line.

Remove your mufflers and any bracketry that is in the direct line.  Now place the fixed needle into the center of the swing arm pivot on either side of the bike.  Adjust the clamp position and finally the spinning needle tilll the rear needle is centered on the rear axle.  You don't have to be level here but, it is easiest to work with if the needles are adjusted for length such that the bar is parallel to the long axis of the bike.

Now go to the other side and flip the assembly over so the fixed needle is still in the swing arm pivot bolt.  Adjust the chain adjusters till the adjustable needle is again in the center of the axle.  Both the swing arm pivot bolt and the axle have center holes in them making this a simple process.  A couple of times back and forth and you will have perfection.  Proper chain tension and a perfectly square back wheel.

A little bit of time with a tubing bender and you could even make a little jig that would negate the need to remove the mufflers.

I have used this system to get the back wheel in line on all my drag bikes and a couple of 200 mph top speed bikes.  Never failed yet.  Don't forget, your tool box needs farkles too.

Poor man's version- a piece of good stiff wire and a zip-tie ;)

Anything that says Starret on it probably won't be cheap.