CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yoshimura RS-3 impressions and questions.

superhawk996

This morning I installed a full Yoshi RS3 stainless I got a while back from Cecome. I expected little to no noticeable difference, I was wrong. At low RPM it seems to have lost some power, somewhere around 4-5k it seems about even with stock, above 6 it becomes a whole new beast. Expecting little I rolled on in first on a freeway onramp and the front went to the sky. I short shifted to 2nd just to not let off and not get too high and the front went up some again. Power shifted to 3rd and it unloaded the front enough to get a sharp wiggle, I think I had a little pressure on the bars as I was still in shock at what was happening. My dilemma is that I really like the look and sound of the dual exhaust, but the power from this system is too good to pass up. I'm thinking of maybe building a custom mid-pipe to do dual mufflers with the Yosh header assuming most of the power is in the header design. How would slip-ons compare? Looking at the stock header I see shortcomings for making high power, but maybe it would do well with free flowing mufflers.(?)

I forgot to mention, the idle is a little higher now hot and cold. When cold starting it would idle a little above normal for a bit then slowly drop as it warmed up 'till it would be a little under 1k and a little rough. As the engine continued to warm up toward normal the idle would come back up to normal. It still does this cycle, but doesn't dip below 1k anymore. I generally don't let it idle to warm, I just ride casually 'till it warms up.

I have the rs3 slip ons and run with the baffles in(too loud around town with them out and no noticeable power loss with them in) and as well a powercommander. They give a nice power boost from down low to up high with it most noticeable from 5-7k rpm. The full systems gain more up high, but at the expense of the low end. Hope this helps.

Low end flat spot can be tweaked out with the right map if you're running a Power Commander. I had the Yosh and PC-III put on right out of the box so no previous config was known to me. When I had it mapped on a dyno a month or so later, the difference in overall smoothness and a much more linear power curve was very evident. I didn't notice a loss of power or less smooth performance when switching to OEM header and Micron cans but I had installed a custom map for that particular combo right off the bat too. I honestly don't think there is a huge difference in the final numbers you get at the tire if a map that maximizes performance and minimizes the rough transitions that would or could exist otherwise is used.

P.S. - I'll be happy to send you my map if you would like. I think it is already posted here on the forum somewhere if you have good .org search fu.... Drop me a PM if you need it and can't find it online here somewhere.

Edited by Warp11XX