CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ceramic Tile HELP.

DaveK

Here is what I got.....

125 square feet of kitchen and bathroom on the ground floor. Concrete slab underneath the plastic tile that WILL come up easily.

Home Depot will cut the end tiles for me...OR

I can pay this guy 1500 for labor to install the tile I bought ?

Is it easy, should a first timer try it ? :roll:

Dave...

I did 400 square feet of porcelain tile in my house...

Tile isn't hard... There are a couple tricks, but there is nothing overly complicated about it.

I would recommend going to one of home-depot 'tile classes'

I did not, but I see them all the time.

Hardest thing about the tile job is laying it out... DO NOT start in a corner, and work across... Start down the middle and work to the edges. Use the tile spacers to keep your tiles perfectly spaced (if they aren't, its REALLY obvious)

But all in all... Tile isn't too hard. You could rent a tile saw for like 50 bucks for a day and cut the tiles yourself.

I've layed down lots of Granite ,slate and ceramic over the years,like everyone else has said ,rent a wet saw, start in the middle,try a dry run just lay out the tiles on the floor and consider laying them like this

vc349-173200414328zfloor003.jpg

This is what i did in my Bathroom,the tile is Indian multi slate and i layed it this way to hide that fact that the room is 4 inches out of square along the long wall :roll: nice framing boys.

thats the best way to hide a room thats out of square and although there's more cuts its the easiest way for a newbie to install a professional looking job

• 6 months later...

On the topic of tile. Does anyone have a way to seal a lot of grout? We just had 3000sq ft of tile installed and I'm not sure I want to seal all those lines with the roller-bottle solution.

We just had 3000sq ft of tile installed and I'm not sure I want to seal all those lines with the roller-bottle solution.

lol.... I only did 400 square feet, and it was a LOT of time on my knees sealing that shit.

But I've wondered the same thing... in larger scale applications... or things like commercial applications... how do they grout it all, and how do they seal it?

I know there are some sealants that go over the tile and grout...

I was noticing that the outdoor cement sealer looks identical to the grout sealer and does essentially the same thing at 1/6th the price. The guys at the tile store couldn't give me a reason not to use it other than "It's not labelled grout sealant." I tried a test spot in the utility room and let it dry for 24hrs. It beads up water just like the grout sealer and once dry there is no discoloration. I also found that using old contact solution bottles made it easier to apply quickly than expensive roller or brush bottles.

old contact solution bottles

How do you get the sealer in?

All my contact solution bottles don't have removable tops...

(or maybe I just haven't looked close enough)

Yup, you're right... Not a screw off lid it looks like, but a lid that could be popped off...

$2 generic solution at Target

lol... same kind I use. :lol: