CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon 45/46 at the track?

erixx

Hi XX'ers

Recently i put a pair of 45/46 on the bird. Street use good so far.

Next weekend i'm atending a trackday, and as my level has improved much ( :wink: ) since last time i was at this track (Albacete, former WSBK host) i'm a little worried about the tyres.

I will really be out to hunt down any bike on track :cool:

I could get another set for track use only if the 45/46 are a bad choice.

Any experiences?

BTW, i was about to buy a pair of Bridgestone SBK slicks, but when i told the official Bridgstone Spain Race Department guy i was traveling 2 hours from my home to the track on that tyres, he said a taxative DON'T!

Once the tires are warmed up, they should be OK, but you'll have to excercise careful throttle useage, until you know how much grip you have available.

I used the 45/46 combo at the dragstrip, and had absolutely no traction issues whatsoever.

Stuck like glue, the 46 did. :)

I would caution using any street tire at the track, now with that said, if I was to run the XX on the track, I would definetly go to something softer like a Metzeler M1. Now with that said, I know I would be flogging the bike pretty hard so I would want the added security race tires give me, but the XX is only so floggable!!! So, I would go M1's and take it easy. The first time they tried to buck me, I would back off or change them. It is not worth the $220 in tires to have a $1k + wreck (MHO).

MaXX

North, you have to remember that at the Beaver dragstrip they spray something tacky down on the pavement. It acts like rubber cement in the launch area.

I was there before everyone else showed and watched this.

Can anyone more in the know tell us what this stuff is?

With my experience on the street with the 45/46's I'd say go for it. Drop your pressures, give them time to warm up, and work your speed up slowly.

They stick on the street well enough for me to bevel my feelers down so I have to buy new ones. :grin:

I run and LOVE my Azaro's BUT wy try to save a penny on a racetrack? Isn't a skin graph and purchasing new plastic more expensive than proper race tires?

If it's worth hitting the track it's worth doing it right with teh right gear and tires, otherwise in trying to save a couple bucks you are putting yourself and bike at risk...

My .02 worth

I've used the Avon Azaro 35/36 combo and then (now) the 45/46 combo. I had them in place last year while doing the seXXt and riding the Dragon and Cherohala. Granted, those places are NOT racetracks, but I did get the tire ALL the way to the edge (no chicken strips) and started grinding down the lower fairing on both sides of the bike. The right side so much, that it was starting to grind off the weld joint between the header and the mid-pipe. The 45/46 combo offers eXXceptional traction, just not 100% sure how it would hold up (longevity) on a track day. I had the edges of the tires so hot that they were shredding little balls of rubber off. I was running approx 36psi at the time and never once felt like the bike was wiggly or going to come out from under me. Hope this helps.

North, you have to remember that at the Beaver dragstrip they spray something tacky down on the pavement.  It acts like rubber cement in the launch area.

I was there before everyone else showed and watched this.

Can anyone more in the know tell us what this stuff is?

With my experience on the street with the 45/46's I'd say go for it.  Drop your pressures, give them time to warm up, and work your speed up slowly.

They stick on the street well enough for me to bevel my feelers down so I have to buy new ones. :grin:

Pete it is called Track-Bite :cool:

I have no experience with Avons whatsoever,but then again I only use real tires-Michelins. :twisted: I guess those new Powers might suit your needs.

thanks so far for the brilliant answers! Looks like the 45-46 still need some track tests... I cannot use slicks (i have to ride to the track) and teh M1, etc are not that much different.

Using 010-020, and Diablos, orSupercorsas, i already scrapped my pegs (i use no feelers) and silencers. Now i have race pegs and higher mounted race cans... So i WILL go faster heeheheh

BTW, hehe, the rubber balls on the tyres appear easily, no pun intended! I also got excited the first time i saw them :-)

Tomek, i'm dying to try the Pilot Powers. Tomorrow i will look for some, or the Pilot Race maybe.... It's true: if on track it's worth the extra cash to make it a save and astonishing day!

see you