CBR1100XX.org Forum

'97 CBR900rr Advice!

XXCANDU

My son bought a '97 CBR900rr last fall with 28k on the clock. Nice bike, actually one of the reasons I traded my ST1300 for the '03 XX - He let me exercise :wink: it in the fall while he was at University.

When low idle below @1200rpm, there almost sounds like a knock, I was told that is normal, as soon as it's at 1500rpm, nothing. Just thought I'd ask those of you in the know!

When accelerating moderately to hard, it has slipped out of third occasionally, it catches at first, and then pops out as you twist the throttle!

Doesn't seem to happen in any other gear, and has happened to my son and I! Any thoughts?

And before anyone suggests it, I know, I know, Change the rider!! :lol:

Have an expert take a listen to it, and ride it.

If it's consistently popping out of the same gear, you probably have significant wear on the engagement dogs for that gear.

Probably in need of a trans overhaul, and possibly some of the gears will need replacement.

The idling noise may be related.

Have an expert take a listen to it, and ride it.

If it's consistently popping out of the same gear, you probably have significant wear on the engagement dogs for that gear.

Probably in need of a trans overhaul, and possibly some of the gears will need replacement.

The idling noise may be related.

I was afraid of that, expensive Huh (eh), It only has 44,000km (28k mi) on it and motor is very soild, clean burning, and hauls ass. Ya think tranny work at that low mileage......for a Honda, of course! :lol:

I know the chain needs changing and the sprockets, which we are going to do soon, end of April when he gets home from University!

Thanks, Gary

the tranny problem is probably either a bent shift fork or a bad shift drum. Both will lwt the bike shift out of a gear under acceleration. The good news is niether one of them are expensive and the 900rr tranney can be taken apart while the motor is still in the bike. Just have to drop the exhaust and oil pan.

the tranny problem is probably either a bent shift fork or a bad shift drum. Both will lwt the bike shift out of a gear under acceleration. The good news is niether one of them are expensive and the 900rr tranney can be taken apart while the motor is still in the bike. Just have to drop the exhaust and oil pan.

Thanks for the info, at least we'll know where to start, I'm going to bring it back to the dealer to see if he will give us a break at least on the repair. A tranny teardown, rebuild is beyond our technical skill level!

Where are you located?

I just happen to know a guy that could do it.............. :wink:

Quebec City area - you?

The guy I know is near Port Perry, Ontario.

About 3 miles from Mosport. He's actually the one doing my engine & suspension right now.

Northman - I sent you a PM - Thanks!!

You may also want to check the crank and rod bearings.

The CBR900RRs are known to burn bearings if a lot of wheelies are performed. It seems that when the front wheel comes up the oil pick up is left sucking air. If the previus rider hurt the tranny by way of wheelie, you could have another problem that has not surfaced yet.

Honda fixed this problem with the 929.

You may also want to check the crank and rod bearings.

The CBR900RRs are known to burn bearings if a lot of wheelies are performed. It seems that when the front wheel comes up the oil pick up is left sucking air. If the previus rider hurt the tranny by way of wheelie, you could have another problem that has not surfaced yet.

Honda fixed this problem with the 929.

Now THAT"S really GOOD news!! :shock:

Thanks, I'll make sure that they check that out also!!