CBR1100XX.org Forum

polish or wax

pai

hi guys, how do u all give ur birds that shine? i know those polish do a great job, but heard from sources that they r slightly abrasive. in the long run, will any damage be done to the paintwork?

for the case of wax, how do they work? r they better than polish?

or r they actually the same thing?

if possible, state what brand n type of bodywork shampoo, polish, wax or gloss whatsoever we all use n whether its good? personally i am using autogylm products.

hi

i give my bikes a wash with good old soapy water and a sponge then use a scilicone spray to protect it it makes it shine too

never had a problem with the paint and ive been using it for 26 yrs now

hi

i give my bikes a wash with good old soapy water and a sponge then use a scilicone spray to protect it . makes it shine too

never had a problem with the paint and ive been using it for years now

i typically use a quick detailer on the bike for day-to-day "washing". i use a cotton terry towel.

a car soap will not strip the wax...but a dish soap WILL.

once clean, you can use claybar to remove grit that's stuck in the paint...but that's not something that needs to be done often.

3M imperial hand glaze is an EXCELLENT polish...this is what will give the paint a luster.

i use 3M wax as well...this is what protects the paint.

The polymer-based waxes are usually collected from specially trained robotic bees that gather the polymer nectar from plastic flowers (or it may be made in chemical factories).

where can i get some of these robotic bee,s

Here we go now !!!!

This is right up my alley :cool:

My bike is over two years old and has never seen any water of any kind on it except for rain, which I clean off as quickly as I can.

Do not use any product that is called or labeled as a polish unless you are trying to remove a flaw such as a stain, scratch or scuff. Polishes by diffenition(sp?) are for removing or hiding a flaw in the paint.

Waxes or sealants are for cleaning, shinning and most importantly Protecting.

The latest greatest stuff out there for daily, weekly or monthly use is the Polymer based products. The company I work for sells over 10 million dollars a year in detail products to the Car Wash Industry, wholesale only.

There is a huge difference between retail products bought off the shelf and wholesale or commercial products to the Professional Detailing Industry. A company like Meqiures sells two lines of products, one to the retail stores and another to the commercial industry. Most all that you buy off the shelf is not half the quality of a commercial product.

Always buy from a wholesale distributor or chemical company like the Professional Detailers do or the Car Dealerships do. It is cheaper and far better regardless of the Brand.

Where I work, we carry the products lines from Mequires, Simoniz and Factory Finish.

Of course I sell a commercial product called Awesome Gloss on my website that is a commercial product from Factory Finish that is similar to Mequires Quick Detailer. It is a Polymer based spray-on and buff-off product that when used with Micro-Fiber will never leave a scratch even when used on a dirty finish. The key to a scratchless finish is not so much the product used but the cloth or applicator that is used to apply and remove.

Micro-Fiber is unique in that it traps the dirt particles away from the surface of the cloth while wiping so as not to drag the dirt across the cleaned surface.

Choose what ever products you can find but stay away from Polishes unless you have allowed the paint to become badly stained or oxidized.

But get out and find some Micro-fiber to use instead of cotton or terry or diapers. You will be amazed how much better, quicker and easier it is to clean and shine you Bike if you use Micro-Fiber.

Let you wife try the Micro-fiber on a window or mirror and you will loose the towel forever.

Micro-Fiber also absorbs like a chamois and is lint free as well.

I publish a professional detailers catalog annually for Sonny's Enterprises, The Car Wash Factory. The largest supplier of parts and supplies to the Car Wash Industry worldwide.

Soap Box fell over,

ouch !