CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running/turnsignal bulbs

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

As I recall, some of you with tinted turn signals tried high output bulbs and had a problem with stuff melting.

So if you can recommend any, or relate any problems per se, I'd appreciate it.

I'd just like the brightest damn bulbs I can find that will not melt the system...........

RMU - I ordered these from DesignTech - They are Fucking Bright!!

The lens (Honda Yellow) got warm - don't know how they'll be in the summer. You'll need an electronic flasher due to the increased load - the standard flashes too quickly. 1156's are also available, but I'm putting LEDs in the rear flasher and taillight.......haven't received them yet!

http://www.designtech-intl.com:8080/mercha...catid=12&step=4

Gary

So with the running lights on, the lens got warm....but no problems?

I wonder what the wattage is on them....does is say on the bulb?  It didn't on the website.

It seemed odd that the 1157 bulbs were noted to be 50% brighter than "standard," but the 1156 bulbs were said to be 250% brighter than "standard."

One has to wonder........

Thanks, Gary.

Warm yes, I could hold my hand over the lens without it getting too hot, I was in the garage and it was about 60f - I just don't know how HOT they will get when it's 90f - mind you they are made for autos, which have closed enclosures for their turn signals too, so they'll probably be ok. They could double as handwarmers when it's cold out though! :lol:

I don't see the wattage on the website either, but I believe that std is 5w/15w for running and signal and the Halogen is 8w/25w if my memory serves me correctly. I did a lot of searching around on the web to find out the details. I'll check to see what's written on the bulbs tonite to be sure and will let you know K. In the garage, they looked almost twice as bright as the stock bulb, not just 50% brighter as they advertise. I haven't been able to compare in daylight, but your visibility has got to improve a lot.

The 1156 appears to be almost a backup 'Headlight' output! Holy shit that's really strong! I never noticed, because I am putting in LED's back there.....they may have or have access to something a little less bright. It might be worth contacting their Tech Team. In auto applications, 1156's are mainly used for Back up only, and 1157's are for running/signals, so that may be why the 1156 is so bright.

I've got the light fetish too, that's why I'm also looking at a Headlight Modulator also, to use when and where I see the necessity. Any thoughts on that?

Hope this helps,

Gary

I say cut the running lights and run a big bulb just for the turn signal purposes. I hate the running lights, and that was probably the second mod I did to my bike (right after the exhaust).

You could always get some 3 million candlepower floodlights and bolt them onto the side of your bike, but I think it might cause an aerodynamic issue... :lol:

I hate the running lights, and that was probably the second mod I did to my bike (right after the exhaust).

First time Ive ever heard that. I love the running lights. I think they dramatically increase your night time visibility...but I could be sadly mistaken. You do make a good point though...if you cut them out you could probalby use whatever blinker bulb you wanted without worrying about the heat.

Joe - Confirmed wattage last night - Std 5w/20w Halogen 8w/30w!

I wanted to "go all the way" with a Kisan SignalMinder but 'No Joy' they wrote me back that it will work with Std Bulbs! :sad:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to install an Electronic Flasher like they have for cars. There are others 'out there' who have installed LED's and Halogens, etc....... I wonder what they did? Warchild, with all the farkles you did to the 'Bird, you didn't by chance change the Std Flasher?

Gary

Joe - Did some searching last night and came up with a Tridon EP37 Electronic flasher that will work on a R1. The R1 has the same rating as the 'Bird - The SignalMinder (SM-3) is the same for both bikes. However, I believe a Tridon HD-12 electronic flasher would also work! The HD-12 is easier to find than the EP37. Both are 2 terminal and the HD-12 is good for 10 lamps, and the EP37 is good for 16 lamps. I don't have any idea why he used 16 :???: , I have an HD-12 in my truck for when I pull a trailer - that's 6 lamps and have no problem.

The thread for the R-1 installation is http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/tridone...stallation.html

Gary

Gary wrote:

I've got the light fetish too, that's why I'm also looking at a Headlight Modulator also, to use when and where I see the necessity. Any thoughts on that?  

I have 35w fog lights mounted on lower fork tubes and the Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator (SDHM). The fogs lights are driven off the auxiliary fuse block that is relay activated off the low beam wire ( :grin: no more run down batteries due to airheadedness) and a on/off switch (switch bar mounted on clutch reservoir). I have the Givi 52L brake lights also.

The SDHM is far and away the best saftey device to increase conspicuity. It's harder to install than Kisan, but gives u so much more flexiblity, definitely worth the extra installation effort. It can operate in 3 modes (off/slow modulate(2/sec)/fast modulate(4/sec)) via a small switch and can be wired to automatically activate for several seconds when pushing horn button. It's pretty unusual for someone to pull out in front of me (except for the dumbest brain dead cell chatting cagers) and get many double takes from people that start to pull out in front of u and then realize a bike is incoming.

I'm planning on brighter bulbs front/rear turn signals and dual high/low magnum blasters horns driven off the auxiliary fuse block.

That being said, i present 'em w a 6 prong light attack that looks like 5 spots on the dice. Two very bright amber lights down low, running amber up high and solid low beam/modulating high in the middle.

Thanks Bruce -

If they can't see you coming with that set up, they shouldn't be behind the wheel....................well that's another subject for another thread............maybe!!

I'll check out Signal Dynamics!!

Gary

Update on Flasher Info - Apparently the SM-3 SignalMinder will work according to a Kisan tech advisor! After numerous e-mails, he must be an engineer or something, he finally told me that the SM-3 will work with Led's in the signal lights out back and Halogen bulbs in the signal lights in the mirrors. So i'm going to order it this weekend probably, or early next week. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Gary

Joe, I used the halgon bulbs in the tail light. Being a carb bike it used 1157 style bulbs. After 2 seasons the heat from the bulbs started to blister and flake off the silver reflector material. I don't know if it was from the running light or the brake light heat.