CBR1100XX.org Forum

race tech front spring rate

RoyXX

I'm going to order race tech springs for my 97xx.I need suggestions for spring rate to buy.I am not changing the fork dampening or rear spring/ shock at this time,rear has 6mm shim.I weigh 230 lbs.

Use Race Tech's site to choose the correct spring for your weight.

Using the shim also affects weight distribution and effective frame geometry.

After installing the new springs, check and set sag.

Hank

Looking at Racetech's site, it looks like you would need at least 1.1 springs, 1.2 if you're an aggressive rider. At 230 lbs. you really need a heavier shock spring. At 200 lbs., I put one on mine and it made a big difference. The stock damping should still be adequate, since it's too much already.

Thanks guys.1.2 and check out new rear spring.its already shimed 6mm

Crud...recommended rear spring is 19 stock is 16.8...not available above 16.1. Do the progressive springs work well on the xx?? I'm thinking maybe racetech 1.2 on front and progressive on rear,springs only,stock dampening.I don't do race days and have 160 lb wife on the back quite a bit.

Crud...recommended rear spring is 19 stock is 16.8...not available above 16.1. Do the progressive springs work well on the xx?? I'm thinking maybe racetech 1.2 on front and progressive on rear,springs only,stock dampening.I don't do race days and have 160 lb wife on the back quite a bit.

It's been quite a few years, but Racetech put a heavier spring on my stock Bird shock. They had to machine an adapter collar to accommodate a larger diameter spring. Call them and ask them about it. They might be able to just send you the parts for you to make the change. If you're going to put 390 lbs. on a Bird, it most definitely needs a heavier spring.

Edited by jon haney

Look into the Hyperpro Combi kit.

It's front springs, fork oil, a rear spring, and full instructions.

I've suggested them before and most guys are very happy.

Ill check out the hyperpro progressive for the front too i guess.I cant stand that mushy front fork

I suggest the Hyperpro to guys who are in the install it and forget it category.
The Hyperpro springs work with factory valving and by design, self adjust to varying weight loads.
They are not a substitute for a respring/revalve,set sag suspension but are rather a compromise that works fairly well.

for $ 330 and use stock valving it sounds like a plan for now. i assume that you can still set front spring sag by shimming the springs.i dont like being a cheapass,but the total purchase, mods,new pirelli angel gts,and prog springs total $5000. I could have bought a dif kind of touring bike allready set up for my needs cheaper but I wanted a 97 BB. I owned a new one in 97 and rode it 2 seasons and sold it.nothing I have owned or ridden has compared since. ill prob upgrade the front fork and rear shock to a prof set up after market down the road.