CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carburetor sync questions

KingGroover

Does anybody remember what carburetors are? :roll:

I installed new spark plugs last week, then synched the carburetors. I did the carb sync with the airbox installed. While doing so, the only sync screw that I seemed to have access to was the one between carbs 2 and 3. Luckily, that was the only one that needed adjusting as the 1-2 and 3-4 sets were synched well to each other. Lucky me :cool:

Anyway, is it possible (or recommended) to sync the carbs with the air box removed? Doing so would give me access to the other screws, I think.

In the Haynes manual under carb synchronization they photograph the carbs w/o the air box, yet the text doesn't instruct to remove the air box...

Any advice?

Rob

-------

'97XX

Does anybody remember what carburetors are?  :roll:  

My lawn mower has a carburetor. :poke:

Seriously, whatever is easier. Removing the airbox should affect all the carbs equally, so synchronization shouldn't change with it on or off. Just be sure that all vacuum lines are looked after if the box is removed.

I used a mercury one on my 97 last season. Worked great. I took the air box off, took a few minutes and was definately worth it. Mine were all fubared. Much better now.

I've got the cheap $35 mercury one. Works great, always calibrated.

Take the airbox off to do it. Won't hurt the process. Even with it off, one of the screws isn't accessible because of one of the air cut-off valves.

The only way to get to this screw is to shut off the engine, rotate the throttle, then adjust the screw.

I use a foot long phillips screwdriver.

In my manual these air cut-off valves are listed as on CA bikes only which mine isn't but they're still there. Has anyone removed them?

I've removed all the rest of the "polution devices".

I just finished Installing my Akropovic system and replaced the plugs, air filter and re-jetted (I know....jetting? whats that? :) ) w/ 148's(may be a littie rich but I'd rather keep it a little rich 'til I hit the eddy dyno next month).

What RPM are you syncing your carbs at :?:

I synched at around 3000, hope I didn't screw anything up :???: the middle screw was loose by just under 1/4 turn. Couldn't detect much of a vacuum difference carb to carb at idle. It gave me a smooth idle though and I got about 40mpg this past weekend :)

...granted I was driving like Grandma :oops: