CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprockets

vrodguy12

So I have a 99 stock BB so help me out here guys, If top speed isn't a big deal to me but I like the fuel economy I get, but would like the more low end power what sprocket do I need to go to, and what would be the benefit pro/con. Thanks

Stock is 17.

Drop to a 16, clutch off is super easy and you run out of gear fast. If you have trouble in parking lots slipping the clutch, or ride in parades the 16 will help. If you ride hard in the mountains you'll be shifting more. You'll be at higher rpm on the highway, so you'll have quicker acceleration without downshifting. Bike will be louder and use more gas. Your speedo and odo will be way off...you might even be able to get to 200mph!

Climb up to an 18...I find that clutching off is about the same unless you have a load, then you'll end up slipping it a bit more. And you'll be clutching more if you're frequently in heavy stop/start traffic. In the mountains you'll shift less because there's greater speed range for each gear. Lower rpm on the highway, so accel is more leisurely if you won't downshift. Bike is quieter, smoother, and gets better mileage. Speedo should be spot on, but the odo will read a bit less than actual...you'll want to factor that in so you don't think your getting 60mpg.

Hope that helps.

What he said. A 16 wakes it up, more sportbike-ish (weight notwithstanding). Economy suffers, but not hugely. Unless you spend much of your time droning on the Interstate, the 16 will be more fun and won't have too much in the way of downsides.

I run an 18 - still pulls HARD! Mileage if I am slabbing it I can get 42 mpg but normal riding Im getting 32 - 34 mpg

Riding in the mountains 2 up I'll get 25

I have not tried a 16 but dont think I need the extra pull, but like they said cheap experiment between the 16 and 18

I'm one up on the front and one down on the back. 18 and 43. Get about 45-48mpg slabbing it at a 80mph 4800rpm-ish loaded with my 240lbs and a large back pack ventura type set up. Still gives plenty of pull with the throttle alone. I'm comfortable knowing I can bang down a couple of gears if I want silly acceleration (and I often do).

What he said. A 16 wakes it up, more sportbike-ish (weight notwithstanding). Economy suffers, but not hugely. Unless you spend much of your time droning on the Interstate, the 16 will be more fun and won't have too much in the way of downsides.

Love running the 16,pulls much harder out of corners with the occasional 2nd gear wheelie and still get 130 miles to a tank running at 9-10k all day.

• 2 weeks later...