CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 sick Bird

swampdonkey

I've had this '97 Bird for over 12 years and it's been largely bulletproof. Recently an issue arose that I'd like your thoughts on. When starting the bike after it has sat for a while it takes a bit for all the cylinders to fire which is normal and after 10-15 seconds all's well. This last time I started the bike it didn't smooth out but sounds like one fo the cylinders isn't firing. The revs are not smooth and you can easily hear that somethings off. I took it a short distance up the road to see if it would clear but no go so it's back in the garage for now.

Appreciate any ideas!

while others more experienced should chime in soon, i'd suspect your carbs could use a rebuild or at least a good sync.

my 97 ran sweeter than my current 2000 (fi) after letting a local shop sync the carbs.

ive never had luck with sea foam but believe it or not some gumout carb cleaner and 91 octane gas, fill er up put the whole bottle of carb cleaner in her then go ring her neck and within 30 minutes she was cleared up...

Could be One flooded cylinder...

Here's my guess...

Carbed bird,

Vacuum controled petcock,

petcock diaphram developed a hole,

excess fuel runs down inside the vacuum line to the closest carburator, only when the bike is running and sucking the excess fuel through the hole.

I've seen this.... a lot.

Quick check..

run bike.

lift tank,

shut off bike and quickly pull vacuum line from petcock,

if wet... bingo!

When the bike is cold, fire it up and quickly put your hand on each header pipe. If one is not firing, you will find the cold one.

Hitting the header with a bit of water from a spray bottle works for this as well. It also has the benefit of not leaving some of your skin on the header if your timing is a little off, those fuckers heat up fast. ;)

Check the spark plugs first. Verify spark when removed. Check compression.

The vacuum petcock is connected by the vacuum line located low behind #2 cylinder. If you have recently removed the gas tank, double check the hose connection. If the diaphragm has a hole in it, it will flood #2 cylinder.

This happened to my 98xx. The petcock also leaked gasoline out of the vent only while running.