CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best suspension option

jimmystartup

I've searched for and read all the threads on suspension mods and have decided to go with a new Penske shock. I'm still confused with what to do up front.

I've seen lots of people with new springs, valves and oil but what options are there for adding adjustability? Can you replace the top caps with an adjustable type?

My mechanical experience is limited to light bulb and oil changes as well as the odd minor engine tuning (I was able to execute a successful carb sync) so a lot of this is new ground for me. :roll:

I ordered my Penske shock from Lindemann Engineering. At the same time, I sent them my forks. Lindemann's theory is pretty similar to Dan Kyle's. They do not replace the compression piston with aftermarket units that have huge ports. If the stock piston needs more oil flow (they try to configure the flow similar to an Ohlins fork), they modify it as necessary. Lindemann also spends quite a bit of time trying to reduce drag. They polish the tubes, and use a low drag bushing, fork oil, and fork seal.

I provided them with my weight, and intended riding style. They configured the shock and forks accordingly. After I installed my forks and shocks, I checked the sag, both front and rear. They nailed the setup perfectly. I did not need to change anything.

How does it work? It's like night and day. My suspension feels firm and controled, but it also soaks up the bumps that used to slam right through the bars and pegs. Excessive brake dive is a thing of the past. I have not been able to do any riding in the twisties yet, but the bike feels planted in the corners that I have gone around. The steering feels quicker than before (even though I had shimmed my stock shock 6mm in the rear) I did not feel that I needed to change ride height from the settings they configured, (which appeared to be maybe a mm or two longer than stock) but with the Penske ride height adjustment, that would be a snap.

I talked to Max at Traxxion Dynamics about this. He said that he thought he could use the internals from another bike with the same tube diameter. (More than likely a Honda F4i) to make my suspension fully adjustable.

He wanted me to send my forks in before he would commit to this.

His prices are pretty steep just for a standard rebuild/setup. He didn't quote any additional prices for converting the forks to be fully adjustable. Since I am not racing, all I really wanted was forks that worked, not adjustments to play with.

Even the guys that have bikes with fully adjustable forks send them in to be revalved and set up properly, which leads me to believe that the stock adjustments don't do squat.

I have a tweaked f4 fork(kinked a bit) and i plan on comparing the guts when i go in to adjust the race tech stuff in my fork. The obvious reason that all the f4i stuff wont fit is that there is no boss for the compression damping adjustment on the xx. You might be able to weld one in. Im betting the preload adjuster might be transferable and mabe the rebound adjustment , but i think the damping rods are different lengths as the xx fork is s longer so it may not be very simple. I will report back

when i get both cartidges out

Herb

I have them both in bits on the bench right now.

There is not much that appears interchangable

1) different diameter bolt in the bottom of the cartridge

2) fork cap is over 1 inch deeper

3)cartridge body over an inch shorter (least preload position)

Mabe if you shortened the xx damper rod and rethreaded it you could use the f4 cap with it and cut the spacer.

I will take the damper rod out of the f4 cartridge later maybe

and measure it.

If anybody wants something measured let me know in the next few hours. You have till the jb weld

cures.

start with only a spring change up front, it's inexpensive (about $100), easy to do yourself and the benefits are pretty great:

1) less nose dive on hard braking (therefore better braking)

2) better handling

3) better road surface ride

I've 205#'s and went with a 1.05 set up.

and then if you want to tweak it more, then go to a different oil weight and/or valving.

as for the rear end, i've heard wonderful things about the penske shock.

• 1 month later...

RodeRash has it right on--that's your best bet. I'd go with Traxxion or Lindeman too.

I had my forks done with RaceTech stuff. I wouldn't do it again. It was a huge improvement, sure, but it was painful since the RaceTech instructions are wrong and calling RaceTech is like talking to vegetables. Ok, sorry, that's not entirely fair to perfectly good vegetables.

I too would choose the Penske over the Ohlins by a longshot. It's on my list of things to do Some Time Soon™.