CBR1100XX.org Forum

New XX Owner with a few Q's ????

Iceman_40

I haven't gotten my hands on a 1100XX yet,:twisted: it's ordered should be here in the new few weeks. I'm looking for some input in setting up the bike for touring. I live in the middle of butt F#$k no where, so it takes time to get parts here... not over night delivery that's for sure... Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot?..

Any chance you guys and answer some Q's for me....? I am not a dumb ass when it comes to bikes so my Q?s shouldn't be too bad....lol

I'm looking to set the bike up for highway driving, ordered a 3 piece set of Givi's, a Corbin seat(Gun figher and lady), set of two brothers C2 slip on's(needed a bark).

If you want any more info, let me know and I'll give you the full story if you need more info, just need a play to throw up some suspension and gearing questions. :twisted:

Contact BirdieXX for the Givi's. You may have missed a great sale, but he can help with a set regardless.

Givi's were ordered with the bike, cost + shipping from Givi, couldn't say no.... same for the corbin, and Two Bros!!! :grin: :grin:

Pays to have friends in the toy shops.....

I want to up the front sprocket to 18T, how small can I go on the back sprocket to get some better gas mileage without loosing all my power?

What do you guys recomend for suspension changes, got access to a shop and free professional labour........

I don't know about everyone else, but I would get it and ride it awhile before you change too much. Put a little time in the saddle of her and then if you do any mods you will know if you like them better than stock or not.

Just my .02

Ken

My two recommendations:

#1 - Radar detector!!! Spend the cash now. Cry once but get this!!! Decide for yourself how you want to make this so you can hear it, don't count on purely relying on visual alerts as it'll let you down.

#2 - a Camel back to keep hydrated.

As for mods, I've had mine a year now (6K miles) and haven't done any. I bought a "Thottlemeister" but have not installed it. I may before my Lake Tahoe trip in May but that's it. Pipes might sound cool but it alerts LEO's as well... I prefer to be as stealthy as possible. The stock rear shock seems fine for now and the bars suit me well. I also stuck with the stock saddle with no ill effects, my ass is prety happy even during 7 hour rides.

As siad prior, get some saddle time before you spend needless cash simply to spend it... in fact give me your money that you would have spent on needless stuff if it makes you feel better... my liver is evil and it must be punished - your money will help this fight!

Hope this helps some

Steve

2001 Red Blackbird (Power is totally addicting!)

1991 ST1100 (still love this bike!)

My two recommendations:

#1 - Radar detector!!! Spend the cash now. Cry once but get this!!! Decide for yourself how you want to make this so you can hear it, don't count on purely relying on visual alerts as it'll let you down.

#2 - a Camel back to keep hydrated.

As for mods, I've had mine a year now (6K miles) and haven't done any. I bought a "Thottlemeister" but have not installed it. I may before my Lake Tahoe trip in May but that's it. Pipes might sound cool but it alerts LEO's as well... I prefer to be as stealthy as possible. The stock rear shock seems fine for now and the bars suit me well. I also stuck with the stock saddle with no ill effects, my ass is prety happy even during 7 hour rides.  

As siad prior, get some saddle time before you spend needless cash simply to spend it... in fact give me your money that you would have spent on needless stuff if it makes you feel better... my liver is evil and it must be punished - your money will help this fight!

Hope this helps some

Steve

2001 Red Blackbird (Power is totally addicting!)

1991 ST1100 (still love this bike!)

I've got a decent detector, but it's only legal in two provs in Canada, so I'll have to ether take a chance and use it (hard to hide them on a bike)or pack it in the bag for most of the trip.

Will definatly be getting a Camel back and some kinda cruse control setup.

My biggest problem is time in the saddle, I'm not going to in much time on the highway before I have to make the trip across Canada. I live in yellowknife (about 600Mile north of the arctic circle) and getting to the highway means at least the first 50 Km of the road south is a dirt road, they are in the process of paving and straightening it out. Unfortuneatly the construction is what's making it nasty. It's not uncomon to drive throw a few inches of mud on the road not to mention pot holes that will eat a bikes front wheel.

Drove this road lots of time on a cruser, slow a steady dodgeing holes but not a sport bike, a sport bike it quite a bit lower and I don't think it will fair off as well in the mud.

This is why I'm asking for input, on what mods I may want.

Thanks

In that case I would really think about getting a HawkeOiler or Scottoiler. Or maybe a trailer to haul the bike until you get to paved roads. :grin:

Ken

I'm going to do my best not to drive on the road at all with my xx, have a few friends that I'll be doing most of my highway trips with and we got access to a custom made inclosed trailer. Still means we have to have someone drive us down until the end of the dirt, and pick us up though.

It would be a bad idea to leave a truck and trailer along the highway, someone up here would ether attempt to steel it or smash it for fun. When you have to make plans to go for a drive on the highway chances are I'm not going to get much highway driving in until I leave for my trip.

UGH, I gotta move south soon..!!!!!!

1. Givi windscreen

2. Helibars/03 VFR800 bars

3. Throttlemeister

4. Some kind of cover for the GIVI bags when they're off the bike (unless they are flat black) - the painted covers scratch if you even LOOK at them too hard and the folks @ Givi NEVER have replacement lids in stock. They only ship to north America via container ship and it takes them 6 weeks to get ANYTHING regardless of the customers sense of urgency.

I haven't gotten my hands on a 1100XX yet,:twisted:    it's ordered should be here in the new few weeks.  I'm looking for some input in setting up the bike for touring.  I live in the middle of butt F#$k no where, so it takes time to get parts here... not over night delivery that's for sure...  Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot?..

Any chance you guys and answer some Q's for me....?   I am not a dumb ass when it comes to bikes so my Q?s shouldn't be too bad....lol  

I'm looking to set the bike up for highway driving, ordered a 3 piece set of Givi's, a Corbin seat(Gun figher and lady), set of two brothers C2 slip on's(needed a bark).  

If you want any more info, let me know and I'll give you the full story if you need more info, just need a play to throw up some suspension and gearing questions. :twisted:

Welcome to the crowd - I went through the same questions as you back in the fall - I'm a little south of you and east in Quebec City! You getting any sunshine up there Yet? :lol:

The corbin is great - got mine in Jan - expect 6-8 weeks delivery. If your S.O. is going to do any riding with you get a backrest too.

I have only put 280kms on it in the fall - but drove a '97 XX that my dealer let me try in August last year for a day - about 550 km Test Ride. I did have "Hyper Pro" springs installed right away b/c I found the front forks on the new ones a little harsh - and didn't like the hobby horse effect over bumps. They seem really nice. compliant and comfortable with no loss in handling capabilities.

You'll need a tank protector - I got one from Mag Knight. I like the fit.

I wouldn't mess with anything else until you have a chance to ride it a bit - oh and the corbin will take a while to break in - @2500 kms.

The only other thing I'm looking at is a Throttlemeister (For sure) and possibly changing the bars - but that's personal preference - ride it for before you decide!

Oh a headlight modulator is also in the near future plans. I have a CDN connection in B.C. if you're interested!!

Again, Welcome from another Canuck!

Thanks for the input guys, I know I'm gonna love this bike.

As for the headlight modulator, what exactly do they do, and are they legal?

Thanks

Iceman 40 - Check out this link - yes they are legal in Canada - only for bikes though - there is a link to the legislation. Because it only works on High Beam, you don't have to ride around with it on all the time, just when you feel you need to be seen, like if you think someone is going to pull out in front of you from a side road or you're passing, etc. I wouldn't ride with it on all the time, don't want to attract TOO much attention, especially from the local R.C.M.P. :lol:

http://www.treestumpmse.bc.ca/page3.html

PS - I think I would carry a copy of the legislation with me until the cops realise it's legal!

Thanks for the info, I found a site with the diagrams how to build one.

Think I may have to get out the electronics toys and build one, looks REALLY simple.....

Be sure to check the legislation articles - there are certain pulse rates to adhere to to be legal!

Gary