CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clunky shifting only after warm-up--normal?

superhawk996

New Transmission Friction Damper

In an effort to minimize the annoying

‘clunk’ of metal against metal

that often occurs when motorcycles

are shifted into gear from neutral

at stop, particularly in cold conditions,

the CBR1100XX’s engineers

developed a simple yet effective new

damping system that softens the jolt.

Mounted on the transmission’s main

shaft, this hard rubber ‘friction’

damper quickly slows the spinning

main shaft when the clutch is pulled

in to reduce the difference in speed

between it and the stopped countershaft,

thus reducing the shock to

the gears on the two shafts as they

mate, and significantly reducing

the resulting ‘clunk.’

maybe the bearing seal....going to have to go look at one and spin it...

Ran an automotive 20-50w in my FZR 1000 and immediately got the symptoms you describe. Back to the Rotella 15-40w and immediately gone. I have read that the diesel grades have a zinc compound that is good for the wet clutch design. I run it in all my bikes now.

I think the zinc & phosphorous is gone due to EPA, poisons catalysts. Diesel oil used to be the cheap way to get Z&P way back when it got removed from standard gas automotive oils. The zinc's main advantage is on metal to metal contact like cam followers, but may have also played a role in the clutch. Being that modern bikes have catalytic converters I'm guessing the zinc is gone or at least highly reduced in standard use bike oils too, dunno for sure. The only oil I know for sure that's got it and is somewhat easy to find is Valvoline racing oil in the 'not street legal' version. If it doesn't state not street legal or it has a modern rating it doesn't have the Z&P levels of old oils. There are a few others like Brad Penn oil that have it too. There are several additives with zinc, but the effectiveness of it mixed with modern oil has mixed reviews. The modern oils have different shit that's supposed to do what Z&P did, but it's been shown to not have the same effect. Like most products, if the bottle doesn't have a skull & crossbones warning, it doesn't work for shit.