CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need some track tire advice

kwxx

I'm getting to the point where I'm pushing the cornering limits of my Bird at trackdays. I've been running Diablo Corsas without incident, but I'd like to increase my margin of safety.

What's a good DOT race tire for trackdays? Something with good stick, heats up relatively fast, can take some heat cycles, I don't care about wet weather performance.

advice is appreciated

I run Metzeler Rennsports on my Mille (RS1 on the Front and RS2 on the back).  I have also had good luck with Dunlop 208 GP's (or whatever the new equivalent is).

MaXX

Is a race license required to purchase these tires or just to get a discount? The Rennsports sound like the ticket. Who's got the best prices. thanks again

I buy them through www.swmototires.com or www.discountmotorcycletire.com, depending on who is doing better that day. I have my own tire tools and do all the changing and balancing myself.

MaXX

I invite to join me at a trackday for more liberating experiences.

Would they let me do a trackday in Sandals and Levi's?

:razz:

Cause I don't own "gear"

I invite to join me at a trackday for more liberating experiences.

Would they let me do a trackday in Sandals and Levi's?

:razz:

Cause I don't own "gear"

With sandals and Levi's bout all you'll be able to do is be my umbrella boy. :grin: But if you need gear, I've got extra gear. Only condition, you shit em you buy em.

Michelin Pilot Race, once warmed up they become glue.

Just watch out for when they're cold.

I've got Rennsports on order. I may try the pilot race tires when the weather warms up. At last months trackday the first couple session were in 40-50 degrees ambient. A lot of guys on race tires went down early in the day.

Any tire, period, is slippery when cold. 1.5 laps around a track should have you warm. I am usually on it in 3/4 of a lap. Just an FYI.

By the way, a bunch of records set on the RS1 front, RS2 rear combination in 02 and 03, the tires stick.

MaXX

Honestly,I don`t think DOT rubber (Pilot race ,sc1/sc2,rs1/rs2 etc) can handle the weight and power of XX during hard race track riding.Those tires are built mainly for 600, 750 and I guess V-twin bikes.They are almost inadequate for liter inline four bikes.XX has almost as much power and weights 120-140 pounds more.I don`t know but there is a good chance they overheat by the end of the session.