CBR1100XX.org Forum

My new Tire Changing Equipment

MaXX

Hey fella's, based on some PM's I have received, I figured I would share this information with you guys. I finally bought myself my own tire changing equipment. With 3 bikes and being able to buy tires online so cheap, it made sense to buy the tools as having them changed off the bike runs me about $25/tire. So, I actually bought all the tools from a guy on the Aprilia Forum for $100 delivered. The set I got is from here:

http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/index.html and if you go to pricing, I received everything in the Standard set, plus 3 rim protectors, a valve stem tool, spray bottle, 3 strips of tape on weights, and the 16 inch bar (not bad for $100 delivered). I have already swapped out 3 tires over the last two weeks. The Bead Breaker is almost overkill it works so well. I took the instructions and set up my tire changing bench from this link: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html . Here is a photo of the whole set up too. If you have any questions, post away.

20034257141522504602585.jpg

MaXX

Max good info but have one question.

When are you going to move your ass down to Ohio? You could help me with my TB sinc on the priller, changing of the brake/cluth fluid, new airbox install, EPROM decisions, front and back bike stands and now changing tires. Me needs a neighbor like you.

Of course all payment for the help will be in the liquid form. :cheers:

keep up the great info.

Fuzz

Mac,

Do u want to start recouping some your costs? I have new Pilot Roads arriving very soon and was getting ready to schedule an appointment at Burnsville Honda to have 'em mounted/balanced. Might as well give the $ to u. Last time i had mc tires mounted at a yammy shop they bent the f...ing cbr1000f rim and wouldn't own up to it. Let me know if u r interested. I need to have them on by say Thursday next week to give me a enuf time to scrub 'em in for ERC, otherwise i will just schedule w dealer.

if you go to pricing, I received everything in the Standard set, plus 3 rim protectors, a valve stem tool, spray bottle, 3 strips of tape on weights, and the 16 inch bar (not bad for $100 delivered)MaXX

You sure got a good price since the Standard Set alone costs $160 from their web site.

FuXXy, nothing would make me happier then to live closer to you!! Unfortunately, Ohio just is not very appealing to me. Pack the wife and new edition up and come up to MN. You will love it (well, the summers anyways!!!). By the way, if you have the Evoluzione Throttle body synchronizer tool, the synching is a snap. I just synched my TB's, set my idle, and set my Throttle Position Sensor to "zero" (it was at +1 when I got them back from Evoluzione). Made the idle much smoother. Anyway, if you seriously want help, it truly is a snap!!!

Bruce, I would be happy to do your tires. Let me know when you could come up and we will swap them out. Maybe you run up one day with the new tires then bring the bike up the next. I am easy!! Let me know.

Mac

Mac,

Great. Sooner than later is better, any days work for me, the rear is quickly becoming toast (wear bars just a twitch short of being flush w tread and very little tread in middle, no longer safe in wet), the front is still hanging in there barely. I was running 'er fast'n'hard this weekend :grin: getting my last $.02 outta of those BT57s. Ripped Hwy 60 on both Friday and Sunday, no stray gravel when i went thru. Must have been a little more pumped than usual, going down that last long hill of sweepers going into Wabasha on Friday, i zip past the 'Stop Ahead' sign for upcoming freeway and looked down at a speedo reading of 112. Be tuf to talk yer way outta that one.

Let me know which days r best 4 u, i will see if i can strap 'em onto da bird angled up against givi case, otherwise, i will bring them up one day in the car and bring the bike next day after. Can start as soon as Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing your new tools.

Bruce, anyday! Just let me know. I am going to be in the garage the next few evenings getting the Mille ready for next Monday, the Tuono through its 600 mile service, and changing the Oil, chain, sprockets and brakes on the Bird. Whenever, just give me a call.

Fuzz, the instructions from Evoluzione are tough to follow. Call Ken up directly and he can talk you right through it (or call me, mac@msgtek.com and I will send you my digits).

Mac

Well, must apologize, no photo's of Bruce burning off the back, we just went right to work. Most filthy dirty bike I have ever worked on :grin: . Had grease up to my biceps when we were done (thanks Bruce!!!!). Took 2 hours and 15 minutes from soup to nuts. Bruce rode the bike in, I through it up on the stands and to work we went. Biggest challenge, was of course getting the new tires on the rims. Plus we needed to bleed the back break caliper a bit to get the pads apart. Fortunately, my horse size syringe still works great. Anyway, thanks Bruce for the business. Next set is on the house!!!!

Mac

1. I remembered luke warms's request for the burnt sacrifice, but only after all the new Roads were mounted. We would have redone the rear for the photo op, but the Wild was on TV w a cold Mich awaiting in da fridge that convinced us otherwise.

2. 'Most filthy dirty bike' is a gross understatement, and I spent 10 minutes just before riding up with kerosene/brush to get the thick goo off the rear rim chain side. My main excuse was i have been riding da piss outta of 'er to get my last $.02 outta of those bt57s the last 2 weeks to burn 'em up before ERC (no time to wash) and a hyperactive forefinger on HawkeOiler (cripes, there's M1 85w-90 on the taillight, but the chain looks brand new :grin: ). And Mac, that was the lower biceps, not uppers, jeez, u would bitch if u were hung w a new rope :roll: .

3. Whatever we did to the brakes (i'm clueless) worked out great. All the mushiness is gone and initial bite is vastly improved. It had gotten a bit worse since new, but assumed the mushiness/soft initial bite was due to LBS (1st time for me). Mac, u get a major atta boy :grin: for whatever u did. The braking system is completely transformed, mucho improvement, big thumbs up.

4. Initial impression of Pilot Roads (40rear/38front) vs. BT57 (42front/42rear) (nothing overly agressive in corners till fully scrubbed in, just 133 miles so far):

a. Stiffer ride but still pretty compliant over ripples and smaller stuff. Big frost heaves about same as bt57, maybe a tad stiffer. Hmmm, they sure went on those rims hard.

b. Much lighter feeling and definite better feedback from front (i've always considered the XX pretty dead feeling up front).

c. Initial turnin definite improvement w a quicker feel.

d. Stability is the biggest improvement by far, initiate the turnin and just stick 'er in there and park 'er at the angle u want it. It's like she is on a rail, very confidence inspiring (this was my 2nd biggest gripe w bt57, 1st was no warnin of sudden breakaway). The few turns i have started pushing it this morning the stickiness is very good and seems to be better than bt57 (more time and push needed).

e. Overall, very confidence inspiring from a stability and stick perspective w nice rollin and feedback. By far the best tire i've ridden, i like 'em a lot.

Basically, the two pistons were stuck on the rear calipers (Outside and inside, driven by the rear master). They would not push in, at all. I finally got frustrated and just pumped them closed, took out my handy dandy brake bleeder tube (a big syringe with a hose attached) filled the tube and bottom of the syringe with fluid, attached it to the bleeder, held it up right so the air would float to the top of the syringe, opened the bleeder, pushed the calipers all the way in, held them there and pushed fluid back into the caliper (very slowly) and got the fluid level in the reservoir to about a little over halfway between empty and full, closed the bleeder and voila, I can put the F-ing rear tire back on. That the brakes work better is just an added benefit, not the intent.

Did you make it home before the rain Bruce???

Mac

What rain?

>>>

I want everyone to know that I personally:

1. held the syringe upright so the air would float to the top of the syringe (i didn't screw that part up)

2. pushed the syringe plunger to force brake fluid back into the caliper when Mac told me to do so (got most of that right except i tried to rush it).

>>>

That the brakes work better is just an added benefit, not the intent.

So Mac, r u lucky or good?

Rather be lucky then good anyday. Unfortunately, I think it was your luck, not mine that got it done!!!!

Will we see you at Dulano's tomorrow night??? Emails flying all over and you are not jumping in????

MaXX