CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vibrations: TIRES or chain slack?

Suf Daddy

97 carbed w/ 29K

Boston: ~30 degrees tonight, so I went for a 13 mile run to get gas and cruise the interstate. Used choke to maintain 2500 RPM so I wouldn't push bike home...........if it stalled.

Bike stored indoors ~50 degree but bike sat outdoors for 1 hour while jumping battery and warming up.

Q's:

On the freeway, above 50 MPH bike thumped like tires out of balance, but accelerated smoothly and if I eased the throttle back, I could feel a GENTLE chain backlash meaning I was slowly coasting and loosing speed.

Meaning coasting was smooth and vibration free.

Tires suspect? They were hand warm 6 miles later at the gas station.

OR:

Chain has MAJOR slack. Like WELL past the change chain tag. Is this the cause of the vibration/shudder on the freeway? Quick trip to 75 and all was smooth...............

A combination maybe? Or is the choke also fighting the cracked throttle?

I have new sprockets and waiting for tires to do all at once.

-Suf Daddy

I'd vote for chain, also, but would have opened up the choke to see if there was any difference in the vibration.

Shouldn't need the choke once the bike was warmed up, so I can't understand you had it on the whole time.

Just asking to foul plugs, if you wanted my opinion.

Leaveing the choke on any longer then necessary "impairs lubrication to the rings and cylinder walls." In Honda talk. You're dumping raw gas down the cylinders into the oil and thinning it.

You have a few issues to deal with. Unless you are trying to sort out a jet kit, you have clogged pilot jets or other problems.

Get a Battery Tender, plug it in, and forget about it all winter. :grin:

Put a chain and front sprocket on it also. Don't wait till the weather breaks, do it now.

Flat spot on the tire from sitting in one position all winter???

I usually grab the front tire by hand and spin it a few inches every couple days so it is not always parked on the same spot.

Like the other guys said, once the engine is warmed up, you should not need the choke, but it may also be running leaner in the winter. Most of the two-stroke guys that ride dirt in the winter will rejet richer for the winter. Cold dry air is denser than warm humid air, so packs more "air" into the air/fuel ratio.

Does the carbed version have an idle adjustment knob on the left side like the injected models?? That is what you should use if you need to bump up the idle after warm up.

Damn, it's supposed to be 50 degress in Boston the next few days. I got stuff to do today, but hope I can get out for a few hours tomorrow. I can't even remember when I last rode.

Steve

I think everyone else about sumed it up......but......I couldnt not pass the desire not to write. Please figure out your choke issue before you worry about anything else. Not good my friend. Never run with your choke on, and for sure not half way !!! Ouch !!!!!

• 2 months later...

I'm convinced the vibration/surging? came from the chain.

After disassembly last week the chain, when the rear tire was hand spun, had a bind in it in one small location. The rest of the chain "cycled" smoothly. It would "cling" to the rear sprocket when coming around to return to the front sprocket. Interestingly no bind when going around the front sprocket.................. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe lubing the chain could have fixed it but this chain was STRETCHED far beyond the adjustment limits on the swingarm.

New Chains and sprockets (and tires) and I'll be good as new.

Thanks for your inputs. The chian was the noticable item out of order here. (two months later)

-Suf Daddy