CBR1100XX.org Forum

Handling Question

runner

After 2 birds (over 10 years) the question often comes...what single change makes the biggest difference?

Easy one for me... my current 98 bird has really started handling rotten. I simply walk to the front & yep....front tire is shot. Time for a PR III.

So, what change have you made that makes the biggest difference?

Tires for me!

Resprung the front forks - eliminated the diving under braking and wallowing during transitions

• Upvote 1

How much do you weight ? If it is around 200 pounds leave the springs rates alone . They are fine , but to answer your question extra ride height in the back works wonderfully .

Shim the rear shock , somewhere in 3-6 mm range , see what you like the best .

Handling is subjective and even menthal issue anyway , some experemintation won`t hurt .

• Upvote 1

Maybe take a look at the head bearings while you're doing the forks.

+1 on shimming the back.

If you're not doing the fork springs and valving, the oil could probably use a look at that age.

Fresh rubber never hurts, if nothing else it makes you feel better!

• Upvote 1

I did the rear spacing. Think I put in a 5.3mm (don't rely on that.. I am getting old) also lowered the front end 2 or 3 mm cant remember that either

That really helped but the biggest handling improvment was to stop running sport touring tires..

I got shitty mileage out of them, and get decent mileage out of the BT016's I run.. the tire profile is so much better bike rides great and falls in pretty nice.

You could also try running a 10 weight fork oil. I did that and it made a huge difference. I have resprung front and rear with Hyperpro springs and did the 6mm shim and also lowered the front forks I think it was 3mm but I don't remember exactly. My 97 seems tohandle pretty good.

• Upvote 1

the wheels and brakes were the single biggest improvement I believe but it did amplify how horrible the suspension was so I cant say of the dymag wheels and re doing the brakes was as big as full ohlins suspension as I never had full ohlins with stock brakes and wheels.

How do you establish a stock front end setting? Purchased my bird used, and then reset to the way the tubes were when I reassembled the front end...

I never had handling issues until I tried to turn.

True... But your NOT supposed to Turn on a Dragstrip.....

Sorry I just had too.... NBLB.

Stoppies?

Ummmm.... on a Dragstrip..... No. LOL.

I totally misread that sport.

What is the baseline fork tube height? When I removed my forks for the revalve I just measured from the the cap (shoulder, not top of the hex) to the top of the tree and reinstalled at the same number. I have no idea if it was at the stock tube height though.

There is a stop ring near the top of the fork tube ( couple millimeters below the fork cap ) . If stop ring is missing you should be able to see the grove for it on the fork tube .

Slide forks down so everything is nice and tight with no gaps between stop ring , handlebar ( clip-on) and upper triple tree . That is your OEM setting .

Unfortunately I have bar risers, not sure what kind. Seriously considering putting the clip ons back. I will have to dig them up and compare the clamp thickness. I do know what is installed now is not as you describe, and it is possible the forks have been raised from the factory setting.