CBR1100XX.org Forum

Regulator issue

kiwimack

2003 bird

Found the connector for the R/R melted. I had been noticing the voltage was off from last week. Wouldn't get to any more than 13.4 as opposed to regularly sitting at 14.4 last week.

Hard wired the yellows am now getting 6.5 off each wire. Don't know what it is supposed to be.

R/R Gone?

Stator?

I have an R1 R/R will just need to grind it down if I need to use it.

Any ideas?

O

I know it's hard to tell now, but what was the quality of the connection before? I tried slathering on the dielectric grease for the R/R connector before I had to replace it. If it's dry/dirty, there's a lot of resistance there. My guess is once it starts getting hot, the connector starts to cook away.

Now, if you have damage, I don't know. You can test the R/R and stator wires, but just because they test good now doesn't mean they won't go next week or next month (as it happened to me last year).

Given the circumstances, if you replace the R/R, go ahead and replace the stator too...just in case.

Check recent threads on this subject...

Test Stator, via Hobie's thread... and methods.

Replace parts...

Cross fingers and hope it's all fixed.

If you feel the need to replace either the R/R or the stator, DO BOTH. A stator on the edge of failure can test fine, but when it goes, it can toast a good R/R and vice-versa. Parts-wise, they aren't that expensive to replace. Get a good set from Ricks (IIRC).