CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question about Corbin seat height

Chizuck

So I finally located a used Corbin seat that's in my price range ($200). It's got a small tear on the very back of it (doesn't really bother me) but other than that seems to be pretty new. But before I pull the trigger I wanted to ask if any other tall riders out there have had experience with the Corbins. I've heard that they lower the seat height by an inch or so and wonder what that's going to feel like. I'm 6'2", 195lbs and certainly don't feel like my stock seat is too high.

My primary interest in the seat is for extended trips, I imagine I'd probably put the stock seat back on for riding around town. Any feedback?

Thanks,

Chuck

HeyChuck, I'm 6'2" and 230 #. I've got the Corbin GF & Lady and a oval backrest. I got it because my kids needed/wanted a back rest when they rode with me. They were use to the cruiser setup with the upright seating and backrest. This confortable seat is build for you to be sitting in the riding position.

It does sit you down a little lower, sort of sits you into the seat. And the seat sides are wider. You notice it when your legs are down or you're standing up, but not when you're riding. I also found that the little bit it lowers you, caused you legs to be flexed a little more in the riding position. When I first got it and went on a long ride, I was wearing layers for those cold weather rides (naked leather chaps, thick jeans, and thermal wear all together - I was warm though) and the tightness behind my knees just about put my legs to sleep. :shock: I had to keep straightening my legs out as we rode or whenever we stopped. It's warmed up and wearing less layers or my Joe Rockets mesh pants helped. Also, I've gotten a pair of leather street bike pants and they're made to be in the bent leg riding position. They're a lot more comfortable, could be why so many rides end up wearing them. I'm also gotten a lot more use to the position, and that goes a long way to being more comfortable.

Another thing you'll notice is that the stock seat has a rough finish and when you stop and start, you don't slide very much. With the Corbin, it has a leather seat surface and you'll find that you (and your passanger) may scoot forward when you stop. But if you keep you knees tight against the tank you won't slide forward as much and it takes most of the problem away.

All in all the Corbin seat is very comfortable and seat burns from long rides become a thing of the past. That said, I'm not sure any of the things we add to our bikes is worth what they charge us.

Just my observation and 2 cents.

I am 6'-2" and 190 and I have the Corbin smuggler. It works well for me. I does sit you a bit lower but I find the seating position much more comfortable than the stock seat. With either seat, I found that as long as I stretch my legs before starting my ride and when I stop I don't have any problems.

6' 5" 210lbs (skinny f*(k)

I have the smuggler and while it does sit you lower (as others mentioned) I find it very comfortable. I rode my Bird from So CA to Laguna Seca last year for the races and I had no "monkey butt" issues. The only thing I noticed is that the Corbin tends to lock you in to one basic position, albeit not an uncomfortable one, while there is more room for position shifts on the stocker. Overall, I think it is a great seat.

Chuck,

I bought my Corbin Gunfighter&Lady the day I got my Bird, (I won't tell you how much I paid for it new) and I love it. Im 6'5" about 215 lbs, I had Corbin add one inch to the front of the seat and left the rear of the seat stock height, it keeps me off the tank and rocks my hips into a much more comfortable position. I've ridden a couple of 700 plus days no problem. I've since added the oval backrest, the Lady loves it.