CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wire Identification

NoOne65

That looks like the starter relay connectors.

Don't u have a shop manual? If not I am sure u can look it up on the net.

I am headingbout to my shop in a couple mins and will look to see exactly wich goes where.

Those wires look kinda rough. Before you reconnect anything I would go over any bare wires with either heatshrink or tape.

What yr bike is it?

That'sconnector goes to the starter solinoid and is known to burn if not maintained.

Keep the connections clean and free od corrosion and you should be good.

By the looks of it though it has been let go and already melted the connector. The 2 heavy wires are supposed to be in that plug.

Once the connections are clean use some dielectic grease to help prevent future corrosion.

Looks like the the bike has been sitting outside for a while in the weather too. Lube that chain good.

Bike has been sitting outside for 2 years and I am just getting started on refurb. Yes it is for the starter relay and it has burned up quite badly. I intent on clipping and putting NEW connectors on it but I need to know which of the loose wires in the photo goes on the outside and which on the inside

97XX

When I get home from work tonight I will pull the seat off of my 97 and take a pic and let you know .

Just by looking at the pic I would think that the red wire goes on the outside and the red/white goes on the inside.

However I will look at mine tonight to be sure. Its been a while since I had to look at mine.

When I get home from work tonight I will pull the seat off of my 97 and take a pic and let you know .

Just by looking at the pic I would think that the red wire goes on the outside and the red/white goes on the inside.

However I will look at mine tonight to be sure. Its been a while since I had to look at mine.

That would be awesome. I used the wiring diagram but it would be nice to have a confirmation!

J

That would be awesome. I used the wiring diagram but it would be nice to have a confirmation!

J

heres the link for the service manual if it helps at all.

Clickie

I looked at mine but it is all taped and factory shrink wrapped.

However I looked at the wiring schematic and the red /white wire comes frome the RR and the red wire just feeds power to the ignition switch and fuse box. They are a common wire in that relay. So I don't think it is a big deal if they are switched. Basically the red wire is just piggy backed to pull power for the fusebox and ignition. The R/W wire runs through and hooks to a 30 amp fuse before going to the battery.