CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yoshimura slip ons - fitment problems - has anyone had this problem?

2fast4love

After considerable thought and insight from fellow posters to this forum, I decided to buy a set of Yoshimura Stainless Steel RS-3 "Zyclone" slip ons. Got a great deal on them from a place called Riders Discount ($475.00 incl shipping) - found them on ebay. Delivered in about 10 days and all looked good. Right side went on fine - left side, not so well. It hangs down substantially (about 1" low at hanger and about 2" low at end/exit of pipe.

I have looked things over in great detail and can't really find the reason for this. My bike is a stock 97 with stock pipes which I pulled off the same day I tried to install the new Yosh units. The stockers fit and aligned just fine. I talked to Yosh Tech Support, they verified part number were corrent and even pulled a few from stock and checked on their jig - of course, fit perfect there and he said they have not had any problems with this model. He suggested I loosen all the bolts on stock header to see if that gave me enough movement. Even after loosening all nuts at the flanges and removing the rear mount bolt, I still can't bring the muffler up into postion where it needs to be even with moderate upward pressure.

I have gone back through this forum and tried to read all the slip on posts I could find and have not run across others mentioning this problem - guess I am the lucky one... Has anyone run into this with Yosh or others slip ons?

At any rate, I am pretty much out of ideas. Yosh offered to send another left pipe. Based on my measurements, and the fact that it fit their jig fine, I doubt it will be any different that what I have. They also offer single systems, but I prefer to stay with the slip ons for budget reasons (pipe cost and jetting etc).

So I guess I send this back and stay with the "Buick sound" or try to modify this one - not real happy about either of those choices. Modification idea was to take the pipe to an exhaust shop and have them try to expand the inside of the pipe inlet from 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 and then use a factory style bushing gasket. I believe the reason the factory pipe fits fine and the Yosh does not is that there is some "wiggle room" with bushing/gasket mating system whereas alignment has to deadnuts on with a "pipe to pipe" fit lit the Yosh. Has anyone done this? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated - I am pulling my hair out!

Thanks!

post-130411-1360475262.jpg

I would like to see a shot from the rear. I take it that you tried turning the pipe which would make it go up and down? Did you send the photo to Yosh? I would do that. Maybe that one pipe is screwed up from the factory.

I did try to rotate both ways, which will change up/down angle slightly, but not nearly enough. Also, since these are oval and not round, you really can't rotate much without it looking misalinged (not "plumb"). Attached is pic from rear with left wired to its highest level I can take it witout excessive stress on the header. I will get back to Yosh Tech early next week. Maybe I just got a bad pipe, but since they said their in stock units fit their jig fine and they have had no fitment problems with this model I guess I just wondered if anyone else has experinced this problem.

post-130411-1360508841.jpg

I had Yosh Zyclones and they fit but it does seem like they were harder to remount due to the 1 piece mid pipe/can design.

I would say return em and look for a setup that has a separate mid pipe so you have a bit more flexibility.

FWIW I liked my Yoshs but they were about the quietest aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard.

I LOVE my Microns. Too bad they went tango uniform. There are a lot of great exhaust options out there though.

If they offered to send you a new left can, I would go for it. If that doesn't fit, send it all back and try something else.

Before you do anything, though, I would check the stock header for damage. Dropping off of a curb, or something similar could have tweaked the stock system. Are there any other BB owners near you with sliip-ons? Maybe take their left can off and see if it fits properly on yours?

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the insight on this topic. I worked directly with Yosh tech support on this and ended up sending the slip-ons back to them. They checked out ok on their fab jig, so a replacement set would have been no different. We ended up working out a deal on a full system which will elimate the left side fitment problem all together. I'll have to save up some more $ for a rejet and will run factory in the meantime (might see temps in the 40's soon!) It took awhile to sort through this with Yosh, but all in all, I am happy with the outcome.

I realize that this response is OBE (overcome by events), but I am surprised the Yoshi RS3 slip-ons are one piece units (midpipes and cans attached from factory). When I bought the TRCs (made for 1G zx14s) used, the midpipes came separate. I ended up using Delkavic midpipes made for BB and the pipes fit fine for the most part, angle wise. Being able to rotate the midpipes separately from the cans provided the range of motion to get it aligned although you still were constrained somewhat since the center stand stopper needed to be aligned with the stand in the raised position. Before I found the set of Delkavic midpipes, I called Yoshi to see if they sell the BB midpipes separately and they told me they do.

In your pic, the left midpipe is in a position that looks like the center stand stopper is way off and needs to be turned clockwise so that the stopper is in a vertical position. If the midpipe was not permanently fitted to the can, you should be able to turn the midpipe so that the center stand stopper was vertical and aligned with the stand AND then rotate the can so it was symmetrical to the right can.

Wonder why the cans and midpipes were not provided to you as separate units to allow more adjustability. Can you confirm with Yoshi if you are supposed to be able to rotate the midpipes and cans individually? Perhaps you were just sent a set that was inordinately tight and you were unable to twist it as intended.

I realize that this response is OBE (overcome by events), but I am surprised the Yoshi RS3 slip-ons are one piece units (midpipes and cans attached from factory). When I bought the TRCs (made for 1G zx14s) used, the midpipes came separate. I ended up using Delkavic midpipes made for BB and the pipes fit fine for the most part, angle wise. Being able to rotate the midpipes separately from the cans provided the range of motion to get it aligned although you still were constrained somewhat since the center stand stopper needed to be aligned with the stand in the raised position. Before I found the set of Delkavic midpipes, I called Yoshi to see if they sell the BB midpipes separately and they told me they do.

In your pic, the left midpipe is in a position that looks like the center stand stopper is way off and needs to be turned clockwise so that the stopper is in a vertical position. If the midpipe was not permanently fitted to the can, you should be able to turn the midpipe so that the center stand stopper was vertical and aligned with the stand AND then rotate the can so it was symmetrical to the right can.

Correct...

I had a set of Yoshi's, and yes, it's the rotation of the mid-pipe. They are internaly riveted in place... which is medium-easy to fix, but.....

Now he has payed more for a Full system.... he got new exhaust... factory got more money and the parts back without having to accept liability...........so both parties are happy.

Hey 2 fast... not so Fast... would you be interested in selling your stock header?

Thanks for the additional commentary on the Yosh fitment issue. As I understand it, all the Yosh RS3 slips for the Bird have a fixed in place mid pipe (secured to the mufflers at the factory). The rotation of the left muffler as seen in the pic placed it in the correct (plumb) vertical orientation (they are oval - nor round). I am/was unaware of any way to separate and rotate the mid pipe.

EVLXX - since I plan to ride this bike till I'm 80ish, I will likely hang onto the stockers in case the Yosh pipe is too much for my hearing aid...

I did however see a nice factory set on Craigs List - Chicago a week or so ago you may want to check out. As I recall, they look real nice, but price was a bit high.

Thanks again!!