CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fairing repair or replace

inline4

Here's the deal.

I have a 2001 'Bird wearing the paint of what I'm pretty sure is the 2002 model. However I have no way to confirm that. Whoever repainted the bike did an outstanding job

regardless of which color he used. The main cowling has a hole about the size of a half dollar as well as a crack about 3 inches long.

I really want to get this repaired, but don't know how to go about it. Of course I can buy the 2002 fairing but what if the paint doesn't match the rest of the body work?

Can an automobile body shop repair holes in plastic like this? I'm pretty sure they could match the paint using whatever technique body shops utilize.

I've considered using some kind of decal to cover the hole, something like a lightning bolt perhaps but I sure as hell don't want it to look tacky. :icon_whistle:

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks guys,

Jim

003_zps4c84bb9b.jpg

001_zps4decf22d.jpg

002_zps924de29a.jpg

Is that bike the one owned by that dude from Austin? The hole looks familiar....

No, I don't think so. I purchased it from a man in Fayetteville, AR who had just traded for it from a man in Alabama.

The owner from AL was an Army helicopter flight instructor.

That has to be the line of the day..."The hole looks familiar". Don't know why I find it funny, but................ :icon_evilgrin:

repair and have repainted.

I just rebuilt the tail section with fiberglass on another bike not long ago. Fiberglass, kittyhair bondo, and sanding.

The paint was rattle can as its a play bike. :icon_biggrin:

if you can't do fiberglass work look up plastic welding equipment and watch a few youtube videos.

3M makes a bumper cover repair epoxy that is sandable and virtually indestructable. Most dedicated paint and body places have it as a normal stock item. Relatively cheap and easy fix for a wide variety of plastics. It usually comes as a two part tube that requires a "special" applicator gun, but for the one time use and toss the rest, a couple stiff sticks or throwaway bolts work great for a plunger to dispense the goop. Works dandy on Bird plastic... :icon_whistle:

If you have the time and place to do the work yourself you should give it a try. I did all the work on my yellowbird when I dropped it. It will be cheaper for you to do it and you can have some pride in the finished job. Any paint dealer should be able to mix the color really close.