CBR1100XX.org Forum

A/C Advice...

Zero Knievel

Paid over $600 to have my A/C repaired when it went out just over 2 years ago. Shop said if he bought the parts, he'd double the warranty. Normally 1 year, I got 2 years for letting him get the parts.

Most all stores offer 3 months at best.

Well, just under 2 years I felt it wasn't cooling like it should, took it in for checking and service. They said it was a bit low, but not much.

Now, the compressor totally craps out (about 2.5 years). If I was to fix it again, I want something built to last like the OEM compressor that went over 10 years without a bit of problems.

I found places online that offer a lifetime warranty, but when I ask about why they do it, they told me it's the same compressor, but for more money they will extend the warranty for as long as you own your car.

I'm not in the mood to shell out almost $700 every two years because the replacement parts are built like crap.

How much is oem compressor ?

Buy quality compressor and dryer . Get some compressor oil ( make sure you get the right type for your car ) , assortment of r134-a spec. O-rings .

Replace compressor and dryer . Use new o-rings .

Once you are done with parts swap you have two choices . You can loan ( free ) vacum pump from - let`s say - Autozone , evacuate the system and charge with right amount r134-a ( by weight ) , or take it to AC shop and let them do it for you .

When it comes to AC stuff, I ONLY buy OEM, and this was before I worked for a dealership parts department. For GM stuff, Carquest and Oreilly's can get you Delphi equipment, which is GM, but much cheaper than the dealer. I know down here that Oreilly's even has a lot of Motorcraft original parts as well.

I currently own two GM vehicles, and I bought GM compressors for both vehicles when they went out. Get the GM part number and check around on ebay and rockauto to price shop. If all else fails, you can try to get the dealer to price match, but if they won't, see what they'll do to lower the price so you don't have to deal with freight costs and the delay of ebay. It might be worth your time to spend a little more at the dealer to get it sooner.

When it comes to AC stuff, I ONLY buy OEM, and this was before I worked for a dealership parts department.

What pisses me off is that the compressor I paid for was MORE money than an OEM from Mazda. I'm going to want to know why I paid more for an aftermarket than an OEM part.

Because a lot of people just won't call the dealer at all for parts because they have this ingrained mentality that we are always higher than everybody else. For example, I just called the Lexus dealer and a set of front struts for a car was actually $20 a piece CHEAPER than aftermarket.