CBR1100XX.org Forum

stereo earplugs

Chizuck

Can anybody recommend a company that makes those foam earplug headphones that could be used with the Chatterbox radios? I feel like they would be much better at blocking out windnoise while rolling along at speed than the ones that don't go in your ear.

I don't have a chatterbox but I do have a pair of the Koss "the plug" earphones that fit in the ear canal. They are great for blocking out the wind noise and the fit means you don't have to have the volume up so much.

Just received Koss earplugs from www.buy.com. Fit good and can get helmet on w no problem. Haven't mastered pulling helmet off w/o pulling earplugs out too. Any suggestions out there? Haven't tested in combat yet due to :roll: winter, but it's getting warmer! I got 'em to plug to Passport 8500 i just put on order from www.radarbusters.com.

Bruce, when I was using the Koss type plugs I never even mastered getting the helmet on without screwing them up, so I taped them in.

Pain in the ass, but worth it for longer trips.

Congrats on the detector, I just bought the same one. Just remember- Wisconsin State Police use LIDAR almost exclusively, so don't get too cocky, you know what bastards they can be :wink:

Redbird wrote:

Just remember- Wisconsin State Police use LIDAR almost exclusively, so don't get too cocky, you know what bastards they can be  

Don't remind me, that contribution last year (Rockford/Galina/River Road troll) i made after i split up w everyone still hurts. That would have gone a long way toward buying the 8500. Thanks for the tip, i spend quite a bit of time on WI hwys and the bird w MN plates is a very tempting target to generate revenue. When trolling along in low 60s in 55 zone it almost feels like u should be deploying the sidestand and getting off 4 crying in the beer :roll: .

Redbird wrote:

Bruce, when I was using the Koss type plugs I never even mastered getting the helmet on without screwing them up, so I taped them in.

I'm sure u tried this method, but when i pull the helmet on, i pull outward on the straps quite a bit more than b4 to compress the helmet lining material below the ears. I make sure the cords r pointed straight down and earplugs inserted fully. Doing this the helmet (RF900) slips right over no problem. When I pull the helmet off w same method, it feels like the cords pulling the plugs out. With the helmet on, everything feels very secure and comfortable, but will know better once i git da bird flying again.

I modified a set of Koss plugs to help with the helmet problem, also.

I had a crappy set of "sport-style" plugs that have a piece of plastic that goes up and over the ear to help keep the plugs in. I cut the ear piece off of them and epoxied them to the Koss plugs. It works really well, as I never have a problem with them coming out putting the helmet on or taking it off.

The biggest trick of doing this is getting the positioning just right. I ended up putting the Koss plugs in my ears and then trimming the earpieces back a little at a time and test-fitting them before using the epoxy. Once I thought that I had them just right, I used superglue to hold it in place. All this was done with the plugs in the ear. I found this necessary since the plugs go up and back at an angle inside my ear as opposed to being a 90 degree angle to the side of my head. Just be very careful not to superglue them to your ears! :shock: (BTW- this works well for holding them in also......don't ask me how I know. :oops: ) I found the gel type glue works the best to prevent this. Once you have them 'tacked' in place, then carefully remove them from your ears and procede to epoxy them.

I ended up with the cord in the wrong position, so I had to remove the tension stop from the plugs and then tape the cord to the side of the plugs, otherwise the helmet caught on the cord where it enters the plug.

Other than that, everything went smoothly and they work great.

20042184678145318955101.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I talked to an engineer at a company called Etymotic that makes really high-end earphones and he said he rides a sportbike a lot, even races, with a pair of their ER-4 earphones in place. He claimed you can get movie-theater-quality sound and that they're small enough that you never have trouble with the helmet. Unfortunately they're also on the order of $300. He recommended their ER-6 as being a lower-cost but still very good alternative, but they're $99. Those Koss things are looking better and better.

I think that the way they fit is different on each person but I just bought the tips from the ER-4 you mentioned($15 for 10, I think) and they fit on the Koss plugs with a little patience. BIG difference in fit & sound quality. Haven't had a change to try them on the bike yet (too cold) but I think they will work great. Total cost - aprox $30.

I went from the Koss plugs to a set of the ER-6s, world of difference, and worth the $$ if you're gonna use them a lot. I've got a set of custom molded plugs to fit the ER-6s on the way, once they arrive I will be in audio heaven :grin:

But....the problem with either option is they don't work with the Chatterbox system unless you wanna break out the solder gun. The typical stereo jack ain't gonna do it, and you'd still have the mic to deal with- it'll get a little complicated, but probably doable.