CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aviator Snips

rockmeupto125

Or tin snips, colloquially.

I've had the same set since 1975, and I bought them used. They're trashed now after their swim, at least the two I can find. Over the years they were supplemented by a cheap set that took some of the wear off them, but they were still used for pry bars, hammers, and to cut bolts, nails, and things they weren't meant to cut.

Now I need good ones. What's recommended? I saw an ad for Weis in my woodwork/craft/handyman magazine. Still good?

Edit........WISS, not Weis.

I do a fair amount of light metal work and Wiss has always served me well. Do yourself a favor and don't just grab the first set off the rack. Even amongst the same model some are definitely smoother than others and it's worth the time to hand pick a pair.

Joe,

It's been years since I bought a set, but Wiss was always what was used by the home builders I know.

A quick search seems to indicate that they are still made in America.

I went out to my shop to look at mine and found them under the bench, in the dirt. Kids :icon_confused:

They still cut, but are so rusty that I wouldn't use them on aluminum any more.

I don't think you would have a problem with Wiss now. But at $33.00 a piece $100.00 for left, right, and straight is a little pricy.

Ditto the comments on the Wiss snips - I have been using them for years (have both a left and right.) Broke one cutting thick sheet metal, took it back to store and they gave me a new one. I have bought them at a regional "farm and fleet" type store for about $13 each on sale. Menards may also being carrying them now. Another nice quality - but likely more expensive option is the Lenex brand. They tend to be used by the HVAC guys mostly, but are nice! I see some Menards stores now carry these, otherwise your local HVAC distributor may be best bet.

One suggestion on the Wiss units - get the "offset" versions. The blades are flattened out making it much easier for the metal to bypass the snips (and your hand). This is especially helpful when cutting tight radius curves. Their design is not quite as strong if you really plan to abuse cutting heavy sheetmetal (thats how I broke mine), but the ease of use is much better.

Mark

If you really need to get your hands out of the way, I think these have only been out for a few years. And the prices on the regular offsets seem pretty good too.

http://www.tinnerstools.com/miupavsncut.html

Ray

I use a pair of those at work. They work great on tight areas also. It just takes a bit to get used to the angle they need to cut at.

I bought a long straight Wiss yesterday at home depot for about 14 bucks, and all of the models were right at that price point. Made in America, btw.