CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust options/suggestions for 97 (slip ons vs full system)

2fast4love

I have enjoyed my 97 BB over a year now and truly love this bike! One of the few things I would like to improve/change is the exhaust - its too quite for my tastes. I will of course keep the original system, but want to swap to a new/more aggressive sounding system this winter. I have gone through several of the exhaust threads and pulled some good insight, however, I think quite a few of the options referenced are no longer available. I guess these are my basic questions - wondering if any of you have thoughts?

* About the only current options I have found for a 97 BB are several varieties of the Yoshimira RS-3 (full system, slip on, carbon fiber, SS, titanium). Are there any others still made that I should consider?

* From the other/older threads, I think the Yosh will give me the sound and appearance I am looking for at a reasonable price point. Have seen a full SS system for about $700 and Zyclone slip ons for about $600. Is it worth the work and hassle (exhaust gaskets, center stand issues etc) to change the whole system, out versus just using slip ons? The adddtional $100 is not the main reservation, just wondering if it a wise option and worth the extra work?

* Will any carb mods be needed?

Thanks in advance :icon_biggrin:

I have Scorpion slip-ons and jet kit on my '98. Sound awesome and not annoying loud by any means. I don't know if they're still around but probably. Scorpions never need re-packing either. I wouldn't bother with a full system. Slip-ons will give you the sound you want and save you about 10lbs in weight. You'll be happy with probably any brand although Two Bros are louder than most and D&Ds are very loud.....too loud for me.

I had D+D slip-ons on my 03 and loved the sound. Changed it out for a Full 2 bros carbon system, lost some sound but gained some power. Not enough to make it worth the extra cost and i liked the twin pipes better.

i had a full yohsi system w/ carbon can on my old '97. i believe that's the way to the biggest bolt on exhaust gains. the stock headers appear pretty restrictive in comparison. had a shop do the install along w/ a jet kit (dynojet i think - paid around $1200 all told). i'd suspect you'd need the jet kit w/ a full system. might be able to get away w/o if you get only slip ons depending on the back pressure. big difference in power and throttle response for me. afterwards it would easily lift the front in 1st and 2nd and there was more on top as well. while i loved the sound, it was loud. i got pulled over once by a cop who only heard me opening her up on the freeway (no tix, he saw nothing...). still, i loved it. i haven't done the same on my current 2000.

i'd spend the dough elsewhere unless you really need the sound. perhaps some mild slip ons and having somebody good syncing your carbs will satisfy. mine seemed especially happy after the carbs got dialed in.

on my current bike, i like being quiet. the top end feels stronger than my '97 but, i still miss the old bike's low end response. i'll spend on comfort or suspension before exhaust.

please let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Full system is the only way to go IMO, especially with a carbed XX and its crappy mild steel headers. With slipons the only performance gain is from weight reduction, which admittedly is significant with the XX's giant stock cans. A full system saves even more weight, and gets you a modest power gain as well (you'll definitely have to re-jet the carbs). I have an Akrapovic header with a Yoshi TRC-D can; the TRC-D is loud for a Yoshimura (no db killer insert available) but it's still quieter (and much classier sounding) than a D&D. Nice deep rumble with a Formula 1 shriek at high revs :icon_evilgrin:

I've never used a center stand except in my garage so I don't miss it . . . much. With a 4-2-1 system, center stand delete, and lithium battery I find the back end is so light now it's hard to jack the front wheel off the ground if I need to do front end work. Jacking under the front of the engine makes the whole bike come up in a very unstable manner. I have a shop crane so no big deal, but without it I'd have to strap the rear wheel down to something heavy on the floor. OTOH, with a single pipe getting at the chain is a lot easier.

Installing a full system is also a good opportunity to replace those rusty header studs with stainless Allen-head studs and stainless hardware, less than $30.

I have the Yoshi RS3 full system. Love it. VERY LIGHT! The sound is great. Nice at idle and sounds great when you get on it. Not as harsh/loud as a D&D system. Did I mention it weighs almost nothing?

Pics of it in my profile section.

Rich

I have the Yoshi RS3 full system. Love it. VERY LIGHT! The sound is great. Nice at idle and sounds great when you get on it. Not as harsh/loud as a D&D system. Did I mention it weighs almost nothing?

Pics of it in my profile section.

Rich

+1

I've had mine on 2 different Birds with a total of more than 60K miles. Still sounds great without being too loud and has never been re-packed.

And this system came with a center-stand stop with rubber bumper that works perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

I run the full Muzzy system...not too loud and sounds great!

I have tried many sytems and this is one of the best...no jetting chgs required (97-98).