CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help, 1973 CL-350 twin

blackhawkxx

My CL-350 seems to be running on only one cylinder (one pipe never heats up). I rebuilt the carbs and don't think fuel is the problem. While running, if you take the plug wire off of the spark plug but hold it close, the spark will jump from wire to plug and that cylinder will start to run (with increased rpm). Push the wire on the plug, stops firing, pull the wire just off the plug, it will fire. I am not getting this, maybe some kind of coil issue?

Nice blue spark at the plug? Will a test plug inserted in the cap fire normally when grounded? Compression good on that cylinder? Stuck. too tight lash, or burnt valve maybe? :icon_think:

Would make sense that its a mechanical failure of the spark plug or the wire, and what you are doing when you pull the plug wire is bending/pushing something that is closing an open circuit. I'd switch the plug wires if possible, and swap the plugs (not all at the same time) to try to pinpoint the culprit by process of elimination.

• 1 month later...
I replaced the plug. I will try the wire swap when I get time. Taking the tank off is a pain because Honda made the fuel tank in two halfs and put the connector fuel hose under the frame.

Try and just snip about a 1/4 of an inch off the end of the coil wire where it enters the plug cap and replace the plug cap. If I remember rightly the coil wire isn't changeable of the old 350 twin. I think Aerostitch sells quick disconnects for fuel lines that seal when disconnected.