CBR1100XX.org Forum

Extended life coolant

Warp11XX

I'm helping a friends dad out and changing the coolant in his GL-15 Wing trike. He has had the bike for about 50K miles out of 75K. The previous owner apparently switched the coolant over to the red/orange stuff fairly early in the bikes life. Is there any preferred type or brand of the extended life coolant for use in a bike? Is any or all of it safe to use in a Wing mill?

yep, remember doing my fluid for the first time yrs ago and using it. Then a week later reading about people having issues with it in their radiators and it clogging up the passages.

Got to flush the system several times with distilled water several times and replacing it with another fluid.

Thanks guys! I ended up on several Wing boards and couldn't find any horror stories about the silicate free red/orange stuff. Just the advisement and recommendation to be sure it WAS silicate free. Taking into consideration that the coolant had not even been checked in this particular bike for roughly 55K and it was still cooling okay with no obvious leaks or problems, I went back with the orange Prestone stuff that I mixed 50/50.