CBR1100XX.org Forum

Strange funny on my '97 instruments

brianmacza

My '97 has been pretty bulletproof in the 6 years I've had it. A new funny is the temp gauge will go to max when in gear even if the engine is off and stone cold. Put it in nuetral and the temp gauge goes to zero - even when at normal operating temperature. I doubt its the temp sender as there is a direct connection between the nuetral bulb points and the screws holding the temp gauge to the cluster... I'm debating if its the gauge or the circuit backplane at fault.

Anyone seen this before?

I just sold a complete 97 cluster to a guy in Canada who needed the speedo only.

If you get it figured out or just want to buy the rest from him, I could put you in touch...

Hank

Just to ask, did you dismount the cluster and clean/inspect in case there's something breaching the connections for the temp gauge and neutral light?

Yup... using my multimeter i found that all 3 of the connectiond to the temp gauge had connectivity to the nuetal lamp somehow. That line on the backplane of the cluster is linked thru the speedo somehow I think tho... which is why i called for the collective wisdom of .ORGdom

Perhaps the fuel gauge has lost the normal path to ground, so it is seeking ground through the neutral bulb filament (possibly the oil pressure bulb, too), giving you a floating ground situation. I don't have an early wiring diagram to try to pin it down further.

A while ago a friend asked me to take a look at her 600 bandit to try and find out why when she put her turn signals on the tach would jump around,.............coroded grounds.

I`d take a close look at any grounds and the condition of ground clusters which mat be in the dash.