CBR1100XX.org Forum

Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the shim that goes on the top of rear shock?

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

My buddy just bought fork springs and a rear shock spring for his 01. Shock has to be removed anyway so I dont need any special "C" shaped shim. I was gonna machine one up quick for him. Ive heard 3mm, 5mm, 6mm?? Whats the best ticket? I need the proper ID and OD as well. Thanks bros!

I've tried two, one at ~5mm, and one of John's at 6mm. Can't say my highly calibrated butt can tell the difference. Part of the equation could be where the forks are in the triple trees, fork oil age, fork spring age, etc. I do know that setting the rear shock preload correctly makes a HUGE difference.

I think hes settled on 5mm, but what I really need the other two dimensions. Inner and outer diameter of the spacer.

Mike,

The outside diameter is not important. My spacers are rectangle: 1in x 1 1/4in aluminum

Size of hole or notch cutout measures 10mm on mine

My spacers are actually 6.3mm thick as that was a common aluminum size available and the

European riders tested and found that 6mm was the ideal size with stock front suspension set up.

The hole needs to be big enough to go around the top shock stem only

post-77-1330885064.jpg

Thanks John. Im not trying to undercut you or anything, and since his shock has to come all the way off, I just figured I could turn a piece of round stock down to "x" dimension and bore a hole of "x" dimension. Lop it off and grind it to 5mm. Essentially making a washer. Your piece is awesome and saves a bunch of time, but like I said, we have to take the shock off anyway, and to make a "washer" is 100 times easier than to make what you have.

So Id be good with a washer that measures say 1" OD x .438" ID x .2" thick? (which would be a hair over 10mm ID and another hair over 5mm thick)

yep that would work just fine

You may find it easier to stop by your local Lowes and pick up a couple large washers to make a 5-6mm stack

They are not visable and since you have the shock completely off, it would be quick and easy and virtually no cost

yep that would work just fine

You may find it easier to stop by your local Lowes and pick up a couple large washers to make a 5-6mm stack

They are not visable and since you have the shock completely off, it would be quick and easy and virtually no cost

That is exactly what I did before I knew John sold them. 3 washers worked out to ne 6mm and they have been in there now for 6 yrs .