CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery Charging out of the bike?

BobZ

So, do I have to ground it or anything? It is fine now but since I just moved to a condo and cannot plug it into the battery tender I am thinking of pulling it out of the bike and keeping it charged in the house until the bike sells.

So, do I have to ground it or anything? It is fine now but since I just moved to a condo and cannot plug it into the battery tender I am thinking of pulling it out of the bike and keeping it charged in the house until the bike sells.

Nothing special needs to be done. Hook it up and go. If it is not a fully sealed battery, you might want to put a piece of wood or card board underneath it. Just in case you get a little boil-over, but I doubt you would with a float-type charger.

Just make sure that the battery isn't on the floor or a metal bench - if so put a board or layer of plastic down. I stored a battery on the floor in my gayrage on a battery tender and over 2 months it was rendered unable to hold charge. Was almost new and i have no issues with its 'before' condition at all.

I have always heard that but have also read that it was a old wife's tale. I would error on the side of caution.

+1

Not willing to test the theory, either. :icon_confused:

Just make sure that you have a good quality auto regulating charger.

Motorcycle batteries are small and will easily overheat if you use a charger that puts out higher amps, like many car chargers.

I cooked a good YUASA last year by being lazy and not going to the shop for my small charger.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the brand of battery. Yuasa are good and strong while they last, but when they go away.... THEY GO AWAY - no warning! Once dead, they're pretty much dead. This is sad, considering how expensive they are.

I found better MC batts, based on the Sears Diehard design, and have never looked back. Yuasa is crap in comparison. (email - i'll share!)

That said....

A general rule on MC batts:

- LOW cycle trickle. Avoid burst/fast charges.

- once peak charged, if you have no intention to use them right away - pull them off the charger!

- measure every few weeks, put them onto a charger later... far better for a battery! (you have to exercise it!)

- monitor the charger - cheap chargers don't scale down properly: they overcharge and quietly burn out your battery!

M.

Just make sure that the battery isn't on the floor or a metal bench - if so put a board or layer of plastic down. I stored a battery on the floor in my gayrage on a battery tender and over 2 months it was rendered unable to hold charge. Was almost new and i have no issues with its 'before' condition at all.

This should only be a problem if the floor is flooded above the battery terminals :icon_biggrin: