CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mystery "water" source...

VeloXXiraptor

I've not seen anyone comment about this before, but here's the mystery I'm trying to solve...After 30 minute or longer rides, I notice very small drops of liquid on the right inside of my screen and sometimes enough that it gets back on the tank and bleeder on the brake master cylinder. At first I was aghast :shock: when I saw it because I thought it was brake fluid since I changed over to Galfer SS lines when I installed the VFR bars. It wiped right off and the paint stayed intact (Whew!!!!!). The stuff is water-soluble and wipes away easily. I've had the lowers off, looked all around the radiator, etc., and there is no trace of any cooling system leaks. Any insights?

Jim

Is your Bird stored inside or outside? Does it get or has it been rained on recently. Is this a new problem? Does it come from the top side or lower side of the screen? Does it have any odor or consistancy?

Rich

You lads ought to consider a career in stand-up comedy... :roll: Which turnip truck were you riding in that you think I fell off of, anyway? :lol: Actually guys, it IS black...and a 2002...long story...No, the bike is stored INSIDE and under cover. Rain??? Glad you were able to sort that one out for yourself, Rich, I've greatly benefitted from your astute powers of observation and personal experience. :grin:

It's colorless and the only thing that makes sense is that it's coolant, but like I said, I've looked at the cooling system up front where it might blow back from and everything looks fine. Very small droplets exclusively on the right INSIDE of the windscreen, sometimes gets as far as the front of the fuel tank. Is there an overflow or cooling system vent pipe tucked away somewhere that's not easy to find that might be the culprit?

Cheers,

Jim

After 30 minute or longer rides, I notice very small drops of liquid on the right inside of my screen. Any insights?

Watch for Nik, he's been running around watering a alot of

stuff recently..

:lol: TJ :lol:

Sounds like spooge! :blowjob:

The solution is to keep your dick in your pants!

Lasting 30 minutes is pretty impressive though.....

Very small droplets exclusively on the right INSIDE of the windscreen, sometimes gets as far as the front of the fuel tank.

Cheers,

Jim

If you keep riding, does it keep coming out or does it dry up???? Is it very humid where you store your bike?? I am thinking it is some condensation forming somewhere then working its way out as you get riding. Watch to see if it is just when you start to ride, or contiuous regardless of how fast or how long you have been going.

Are you following to close behind cars that are washing their windshields???? :wink:

MaXX

You guys are a real laugh-riot :roll: :lol: First-off, the NikMeister only waters HD's and not venerable blackbirds, unless he's experiencing incontinence and other assorted bladder-difficulties that he's been too self-conscious about to share with us.

Lasting 30 minutes? I guess that WOULD be a good thing now, wouldn't it? :grin:

Spooge, I doubt it, there's not nearly enough for that to account for it...

Maxx,

the bike is stored in my insulated garage, in absolutely dry conditions. I'm still thinking it's from the cooling system since I've just left it there without wiping it off and it doesn't evaporate, even after a couple of days - leading me to believe that it's ethylene glycol, or whatever stuff they use in antifreeze these days. I suppose that if I REALLLY wanted to approach this aggressively, I could collect a sample, bring it to work, and have it analyzed.

Jim

Obby,

that's a good point, though ethylene glycol is seriously poisonous and why there's labels all over the stuff about leaving it out where kids and animals can get to it. It's very sweet like sugar - no, I'll pass and bring a bit of it in to the lab. A quick and dirty test or two will tell me the tale and I'll spare what few brain cells I've got left... :???:

Jim

Jim,

Did you get the clear front lenses? (And boil the yellows out?)

If not, condensation may be a factor........not sure how coolant could get that high up.

I also find that water runs out from behind the turn signals for some time after washing the 'bird.

Tim,

no, didn't get the clear lenses and I've not washed it in the conventional sense like I would wash my truck, etc. I usually give the worse bugs/junk a liberal dousing with Windex, WD-40 for the difficult stuff... :shock: :lol: wipe away, then give it a couple of coats of good wax. Bike hasn't even been out in the rain!!! maybe heavy fog... :???: But, the stuff doesn't evaporate and it wipes away with a wet cloth, leading me to think it's coolant. The weather's been so bad and there have been so many distractions otherwise, that I've not been out for a ride in about two weeks. I want to grab a sample to check it out at work. Thanks for the suggestions, but it's really a mystery, isn't it...no easy explanations as I would have hoped from our esteemed XX-scholars here :sad:

Jim

Actually tasting it isn't a bad Idea unless it is someones spooge. :lol:

Just taste it dont swallow it (the stuff believed to be antifreeze) ... besides alittle bit wont harm you.. hell you can give a kid a teaspoon before they get sick... :shock:

Or you can take some and put some in a spoon and heat it up and you will smell it... (which is also poisonous) :grin:

But you will know for sure. or be sick either way..

I would suggest letting your bike sit and idle for a few minutes with the plastics off, maybe she will leak some for you...

Dave