CBR1100XX.org Forum

turbo exhaust manifold

tomek

Does anyone make one that would go with Mitsubishi TD04 series turbo ?

All this turbo talk here made me think , fit and finish on kawasakis suck , I cannot think of myself ever owning one . Sorry .

I`d like to do it next winter .

Simple system , no intercooling but with water/meth injection , 7-8 psi, or maybe small intercooler below radiator and WI .Compressor maps for td04-15g or 16 g look good , those turbos are cheap and can be found on volvo 850s and probably many others . 100 bucks for used turbo plus another 100 for rebuild kit .

I would leave stock FI alone , maybe change TPS signal to power commander to manifold pressure signal as long as tps is 0-5V . Couple additional injectors run by something like old school haltech f5 or HKS AIC . Those are 2d systems , rpm and boost based . They can be found on egay for couple of bucks .

Space freed by removal of ram air could be used for water injection pump , controller and MW 50 tank . Me thinks one ram air intake could be easily converted into a water tank.

It could be done on cheap in my case , I have various parts laying around , I would need FPR , additional inline pump I guess , various fittings for water and oil lines , head gasket , piping , clamps , couplers , additional wideband sensor and probably something else .

I can build intake manifold myself .

It looks some parts of the stock exhaust could be used to build turbo manifold , but , of course , I can`t weld stainless steel , maybe I should take a course at local collage ,,,,,

Thoughts ?

For simplification, start here....http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Turbo%20Flanges.html

That's dimensions of different flanges.

The 16t (or G) wouldn't be a bad choice although to large for a 7-8 lb kit.

I'd look at a 13t for quick spool up.

Anyhow, I'd bet Graham UK could use a different flange on one of his exhaust headers but at that point, I'd also wonder if the turbo would be in the proper place because of the compact area to situate it.

FYI, Hahn uses a 16G and advertises up to 400 HP.

Forrest can tell you all about Hahn....

BTW, FI BB's are ripe for an intercooler...

I've run water injection and it works fine too...till the tank is empty, a line gets pinched, etc...

Don't skimp on the fuel system...FPR and pump.

Stock injectors are fine for the HP levels you're asking about...and more.

Plan on some dyno time or extensive use of a wideband that records...