CBR1100XX.org Forum

My turbo bird project. Update!

Musclecar427

I didn't get anything done on the bird because I want to wait for the head gasket before I start. So I am finishing a set of V65 Magna carbs that are going up for sale soon.

100_0029.jpg

100_0033.jpg

Still waiting for the head gasket...Should get it early in the week.

I'll spin it around within 24 hours when I get it,and send it along with some other trinkets... :icon_evilgrin:

- I'm just not done with the "outdated" blackbird just yet.

Truth is, if I bought a 14, I'd be out buying all the upgrades for it also; I'd be at $20k pretty quick.

Bought a set of ZX10 wheels on eBay last night...

Bam!!!

True!!!

What year wheels?

Just curious, because when I did my swap... the Year of the forks I purchased kinda dictated everything else I bought... because If I remember right there was some slight difference in some model year/groups.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have over 35,000 miles on that same chain and sprocket combo...(I have R&R'd the front sprocket)

In total, since new, I have turned the adjusters 12 flats or 2 complete revolutions in total...

Piece of shit....I hate that maintenance stuff....

• 4 weeks later...

About 8.25 CR based on the assumption stock is 11.0 .

Cylinder head gasket thicker by 2.24 mm will advance both cams by about 8 degree , I`m guessing crankshaft sprocket at 30 mm O.D. . Those cams should be degreed .

I'd rather address the comments as questions than anything else.

The custom Cometic head gasket is .075" thick. Standard is .030". .090" is the max that will fit due to cam chain length.

The compression ratio with the .075" gasket installed is 9.75/1 +/-.

For clarity, I'll describe the cam movement when installing the thick head gasket as follows:

Cams will move by 3-4 degrees, the LC on the intake becoming smaller and on the exhaust larger.

The exhaust cam is going in the proper direction to work better with the turbo.

The intake cam is going in the proper direction to return the little low end lost by the lowering of the compression ratio.

I have degreed cams on a couple motors and could find no improvement at the low boost levels these kits operate at.

Gas mileage, drive ability, roll on, nothing improved and perhaps low end was lost with degreeing the intake.

The cams in my own motor have not been degreed. I tried it, didn't like it, and reinstalled stock sprockets

These are real world results, not guess's or theory.

Please feel free to give concrete examples of your last tuning efforts with a turbod Blackbird.

Forrest, there is a Malpossi FPR included with the carbed kit.

I have 40,000 trouble free miles on that unit on my bike.

It's with the plenum and intercooler on its way to Jerry.

The FPR included with the FI kits come from an old acquaintance of yours, Mr Corky Bell.

We're supplying one of his BEGI units, set up by him to my specs.

Both kits run Walbro fuel pumps but spec'd differently.

Remember, these kits are designed individually so when Jerry asked for around 220 HP, we sized things accordingly.

The customer from British Colombia asked for 190 HP or so and little/no turbo lag...we tried to accomidate him also.

Same spec kit with a few pounds less boost. He opted for the thicker headgasket and intercooler for safety and to be able to increase boost level in the future.

Forrest, did you get my email with the specs for the turbo flanges?

If not, lemme know and I'll resend it.

Thanks for the compliment...

Hank

I did a quick calculation and agree with Hank. In case the gasket is 75' compressed the CR will be close to 9.8 and both cams advance about 4 Deg.

I don't have the data for stock BB cams, only for Kentcams HON18. That cam is LC 104/104 and would be 100/108 with a 75' gasket. It should be easy to adjust the stock cams to whatever desired like e.g. 105/105 for a starting point. But it may also not be needed depending where they will be, based on stock LC, with raised head. Here is a good article to get some understanding for turbo cams. http://horsepowercalculators.net/superchar...-and-cam-timing

I first did the mistake to calculate on the uncompressed gasket and got similar figures as tomek.

Very nice work on the Bird MC427 :icon_biggrin:

Edit: I now see Hank has been using unadjusted cams since long, which proves it is OK. Lobe center is not as critical as for N/A engines since power can be adjusted by boost as long as the power level is reasonable. I'ts different in professional drag racing where 0.01 second counts.

T

Please feel free to give concrete examples of your last tuning efforts with a turbod Blackbird.

Hank

Relax man . Now I realize one of bird mc 427 pics shows both gaskets ( 0.123 in ) , so yea , all my calculations were wrong .

T

Hank

Relax man . Now I realize one of bird mc 427 pics shows both gaskets ( 0.123 in ) , so yea , all my calculations were wrong .

Yup, NP...

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you or the other guys mght have...

I'd just prefer to keep Jerry's build thread about his build and theory somewhere else.

Fair enough?

Which boost controller?

Bear in mind, if you want state of the art control that I'm the global online distributor of the NLR AMS controllers and would definitely cut a nice deal for folks from .org

Hit www.ams1000.com for more info...

Thanks for the link eliXXer, I might just give you a call.
Nevermind, I just realized that you have a wastegate actuator (read: single port), our controllers require a dual port, something like a Tial.

That is a very clean looking system and install, nicely done!

What is the oil return line tapped into in the pan? Also, is there some kind of regulation in the amount of oil that goes to the turbo? (Thinking that I have seen some turbos really smoke when too much pressure reaches the bearings and blow by the seals..)