CBR1100XX.org Forum

Starter Relay

Chewtoy

The BB has been hard starting in the morning. Clicks @ the relay, but no starter action. Hitting the starter button 5-6 times eventually gets the starter to turn.

So, got fed up with this and took a look. Cleaned the contacts @ the relay, and reinstalled. Hooked a vom to the positive lug on the starter, and then to ground. Hit button (clicks @ relay), but no voltage @ starter. Hit again, click + voltage @ starter + starter turns. Hit some more, click, no starter action, and no voltage @ the lug.

So methinks the relay is bad. Anyone have different thoughts?

When it turns over does it sound like it is getting plenty of juice? Make sure battery is fully charged, how old is battery? Just because you have 12V does not mean you have good AMPs, see if a local store can load test it for you.

Rob

When it turns over does it sound like it is getting plenty of juice? Make sure battery is fully charged, how old is battery? Just because you have 12V does not mean you have good AMPs, see if a local store can load test it for you.

Rob

Yeah, battery is great. Starter turns fast when it gets juice.

Thanks!

The BB has been hard starting in the morning. Clicks @ the relay, but no starter action. Hitting the starter button 5-6 times eventually gets the starter to turn.

So, got fed up with this and took a look. Cleaned the contacts @ the relay, and reinstalled. Hooked a vom to the positive lug on the starter, and then to ground. Hit button (clicks @ relay), but no voltage @ starter. Hit again, click + voltage @ starter + starter turns. Hit some more, click, no starter action, and no voltage @ the lug.

Sounds like bad relay to me too. Just be sure the cable crimps to and from the relay are good for the high current leads.

Sounds like bad relay to me too. Just be sure the cable crimps to and from the relay are good for the high current leads.

Thanks, man. New part is on the way. I'll see if I can get the cable ends hot enough to take some solder. Also have some DeoxIT contact cleaner that's done right by me, so that'll get applied as well.

Am actually glad the relay failed. Otherwise might not have seen the R/R plug melting until too late.

Isn't the starter relay the same as the other 3 relays that are close to the battery?

If so, i'd say change them around and see if the problem stays the same.

No.Totally different.

Sounds very much like a bad relay.You can jump it by bridging the two connections on the relay with a wire.